I tried another cup of this tea. This time I put milk in it right away. I think the taste that they are describing as “malty” is having my brain translate it to “hay”. This isn’t my favorite tea by a long shot, but it still tastes pretty good. I think unflavored pu-erh might be an acquired taste and my fiance agrees (as he eyes his stash of the emporeror and hopes I don’t drink it all).

I think I might want to find and try the chocolate one of this for myself and some other flavored ones for my fiance. He will like them even if I end up not liking them. But this is a very good introduction to pu-erh and I still want to try more.