Have I mentioned how much I love this tea? This is my third (and probably final) steeping of this tea and it is lovely. I am still experimenting on how best to brew this so that I can get that similar flavor out of each steeping. I think I need to give the leaves a quick rinse first. Like 10-15 seconds. Then do my 5 minute steep then the 7 minute steep and then end with either a 13-15 minute steep.

This steep was an 11 minute steep and the flavor is still mellow and slightly creamy and dark, but not as rich as the second steep. So 13-15 minutes on the last steep should make it sing! ♥ I feel like I am an oddball with the long steep times on this one, but if that is how I like it then I am not complaining at all. It also makes me think that when I finally am able to get a gaiwan, I should try brewing this tea in it. I know that this will be coming back in my tea cabinet when I get the funds.

On a non-tea related note, I have an interview tomorrow afternoon. It is for a seasonal position, but just having a job right now would really help. So, send me luck!

ashmanra

I love this one, too. I thought their Ripened Aged Puerh Mini Tuocha could not be unseated as my favorite shu, but this one….oooooo. And I like longer steeps on my shu puerhs, too.

MegWesley

So, would this one be classified as a shu pu-erh? I haven’t started researching about different pu-erhs yet. I’ve been having too much fun drinking it!

ashmanra

It is. Someone a while back, ad forgive me for forgetting who it was, said it helps to remember that shu sounds a bit looked “cooked” and sheng sounds a bit like “green”. If you see words like cooked, ripened, or shu, that is the more modern, faster processing, and the tea should age well for up to 25 years. If you see green, sheng, raw, or Mao Cha or maocha, it is the older type of processing and the tea may take a little longer to become really smooth and develop but it ages well up to 65 years! Both are wonderful to me!

MegWesley

That is interesting. I didn’t realize that there was much of a difference between the two. I will have to make sure to try some sheng and shu together one day so I can compare the two.

Comments

ashmanra

Twitter: MegWesley