drank Gyokuro Kin by Den's Tea

So it seems that the disgustingly humid New York summer has officially begun. For that reason, I currently have two different teas cold brewing in the fridge. I had a liter of Swampwater in the fridge two days ago. Most of it was consumed in one day. Now I’m looking for a more traditional flavor. Mmmm gyokuro to the rescue. So delicious. So unbelievably refreshing and quick to cold brew. It might be because the leaves are a bit cut up but this was ready for drinking in less than an hour of cold brewing. The leaves had turned a lovely bright green. Sniffing the wet leaves, you’d swear you’re holding a handful of fresh bruised leaves. So green and vibrant! And the color! Japanese tea makers know how to make tea beautiful!

And even though this was a cold brew steeped for under an hour, the flavor was all there! Green and sweet and and smooth. It’s a bit vegetal and slightly oceanic.

My husband, drawn in by the bright green liquid, eagerly took a sip and made a disgusted face. “Is this Japanese green tea? Why are they always so seaweedy?” haha I happen to love the oceanic aspect but he pretty much hates all Japanese greens. So while I think this tea is lovely, it’s not for those who aren’t fond of oceanic flavors. :)

Also, since the first glass was cold brewed so quickly, I used the same leaves for another glass of cold brewing. This second glass is lightly flavored and more of a yellow green but the taste is still refreshing and delicious. I get more of a minerally/vitaminy flavor now. I love this!

Next cold brew in my fridge: a pitcher of 52 Teas’ Cantaloupe White tea. Can’t wait to get to that one!

Iced 8 min or more
TeaBrat

awesome, I was having a gyokuro kind of day myself :)

The Purrfect Cup

I agree the heat in Upstate NY is a bit much for me. I did a cold brew of pu-erh on Saturday and I hope there is still a little to take to work tomorrow morning! But this sounds awesome…and I am not usually a Green tea fan – I drink them, but I love very few of them.

Mercuryhime

I never thought to cold brew puerh! How does that compare to a traditional brew?

Also, cold brewed japanese greens are so awesome! Unless you’re my husband. haha

Comments

TeaBrat

awesome, I was having a gyokuro kind of day myself :)

The Purrfect Cup

Mercuryhime

My profile pic features my two lovable puppies, Mr. Snuggles and Sr. Caliente.

NYC / Westchester