Intriguing tea. The white base here is of the stronger more robust variety, bordering on woody. I cold brewed mine. I can imagine that this one is sensitive to oversteeping with hot water. The base is also a bit like dark chocate which pairs nicely with the vanilla. It’s a very smooth and sweet vanilla. Very pleasant! Unfortunately, the grapefruit part of this tea is quite lacking. The flavor shows up only in the after taste and lingers in a bad way. Like cheap air freshener. But it’s faint so it’s not so bad.

Over all this is a pleasant tea to go with sweets. I probably won’t get more but I’ll enjoy it while I have it. Might try putting some citrus zest in at some point to highlight the grapefruit. I do think a vanilla citrus combo can be quite nice.

Azzrian

I had a cup of this at a coffee place (bagged but I think it only comes bagged) and I liked it a lot – HOWEVER it was one of the first better quality teas I had tired.
This was before getting into loose leaf and finding steepster but not long before!
I wonder if I would still like it now that I have tried so many other teas. Still have yet to find a GREAT Grapefruit tea though.

Mercuryhime

Mine is loose but I bought it from Harney directly. Perhaps that makes a difference?
It’s really interesting to go back and taste old favorites pre-Steepster. I gotta say, the old tie guan yin I used to love so much is only tasting mediocre these days. Sad.

Azzrian

Yeah it is sad in a way to advance past the ability to enjoy some old loved ones.
Oh I wonder if it does make a difference. I may grabs some when I make my order with them.

CHAroma

Try Lupicia’s Grapefruit Green. As I’m found of saying, it’s a citric punch-in-the-mouth! ;)

Comments

Azzrian

Mercuryhime

CHAroma

My profile pic features my two lovable puppies, Mr. Snuggles and Sr. Caliente.

NYC / Westchester