Shou pu-erh. It just always triggers something in my memory. It’s the taste of a dim sum restaurant. In my mind, pu-erh is a noisy crowded place filled with the scent of greasy foods and pungent sauces. It’s sitting at a table with my family and a small cup of some dark harsh liquid. Needless to say, the tea was pretty subpar. They servers simply fill a pot with leaves and boiling water. Then they set it at the table. The first few cups are always too light. the last few cups are always too dark. Then the pots are refilled with water and it’s a slightly better brew. But with the leaves they tend to use, it doesn’t get that much better. Until a certain age, my grandparents would just get me a can of soda. Then I learned I could just ask for jasmine or chrysanthemum tea and it was better. So the pu-erh of my youth was not really a good example of this illustrious tea. Yet every time I have a shou pu-erh, even a quality one like this offering from Teavivre, I always remember those dim sum places with my family. and that sub-par tea. The flavor is so familiar to me I don’t even notice what tasting unless I really think about it. All I get is memories.

If pressed, I’d say this tastes like autumn leaves. There’s a leather-y flavor and a smooth sweet finish. And that’s all I’ve got. :) I think shou pu-erh isn’t really my thing, but I think this is a good one. From the few sheng pu-erhs I’ve tried though, those might be worth exploring for me.

Thank you, Teavivre, for this generous sample!

Bonnie

You know, at least you have a memory associated with it. Save that memory for when you’re a grandma. Pull out some Pu-erh and tell the story to grandkids of having dim sum with your family. The scene will come back and you can relive that part of your life if a vivid way!

Mercuryhime

True! I wonder how well loose pu-erh ages. I don’t think I’ll be a grandma for at least 20 years, probably longer. I’d hope my kids won’t be having kids so young. Then I’d have to wait for them to be old enough to have caffeine-ful tea. So another 6 years? Then they’d get a sip or two. Don’t want caffeinated kids running around. Yikes! I guess I’ll purchase some newer pu-erh when the time is right. :)

Bonnie

I just saw some 1994 listed online. I had kids at 20, my daughter married at 20 and had a daughter at 21 who’s now 18 and would love to be married and a mom. I’ve decided that I don’t want to be called great grandmother. I will be called Bonnie The Great. I’m too young to be great grandma.

Mercuryhime

I’ve heard that pu-erh in cake form ages well. I don’t think I’ve heard much about loose pu-erh though. As for age for having kids, I guess it’s a personal thing. My mom had her first kid at 20 and I think she always wished she had waited a few years.
I think we can start calling you Bonnie The Great straight away! You could change your username. :)

Bonnie

At 40 my son was 20 and my daughter was 16. By 42 they were on their own. Great adults! I’m young enough to do fun things with the grandkids like drink tea and took a cruise to Alaska with one and went to a hookah bar. We do concerts and so on.

Mercuryhime

You sound like an awesome grandma. :)

Comments

Bonnie

Mercuryhime

You sound like an awesome grandma. :)

My profile pic features my two lovable puppies, Mr. Snuggles and Sr. Caliente.

NYC / Westchester