Brewing this for the first time yesterday was a bit of a disaster. It tasted so weird! Sour and harsh and somehow underleafed all at once. I gave up after two steepings. Today, I decided to change things up a bit and see if it made a difference. I used the remaining half of the packet, but only half the amount of water as yesterday. I also used unfiltered water from my tap since I had used filtered last time. Result? Much better! So does this mean some teas taste better with unfiltered tap water? Or is my brita messed up? Water tastes fine… meh. Oh well. Now I know! And I can review this tea!

First, the dry leaves smell like a delicious chocolate truffle. mmmmm….

The first steep is luscious and dark chocolatey. Also mineraly, like hot rocks. Tasty!

Second steep tastes more like burning rocks and dry fall leaves. This is good. There is a sweet aftertaste. And something undefinably fruity. Still have that dark chocolate quality.

Going for a third steep! This is a nice mellow one with a lovely sweetness. I can definitely taste its oolongy origins here. Reminds me of forest soil, like many dark oolongs do.

This is a very tasty experiment indeed! I’m glad I got an ounce of this to play with. :) Next time, it’s going into the gaiwan.

Happy St. Patrick’s Day everyone! Have a green day!

OMGsrsly

I’m getting sourness from some of my teas as well, and i recently changed my Brita filter. Thanks for the idea! I’ll use plain tap water tomorrow.

Mercuryhime

It will depend on the tap water too. Good luck!

OMGsrsly

Much better today! Our tap water is actually really good, just sometimes heavily chlorinated. I need to filter it before drinking it plain. :)

Mercuryhime

Yay! Glad it worked out for you! Wonder why Brita makes sour tea?

that’s weird. i use my brita all the time. so must be something to do with the water + brita

OMGsrsly

I just changed the filter, so it must be something to do with that. I was thinking of cleaning my kettle, but now I’m scared to disturb the balance. :)

Comments

OMGsrsly

Mercuryhime

It will depend on the tap water too. Good luck!

Mercuryhime

Yay! Glad it worked out for you! Wonder why Brita makes sour tea?

OMGsrsly

My profile pic features my two lovable puppies, Mr. Snuggles and Sr. Caliente.

NYC / Westchester