It’s been a while since I had an extended tasting of an oolong. This particular one had a ginseng candy scent the moment hot water hit the leaves. Interesting. It makes me a bit nervous though.

Steep one: vegetal. Tastes like cooked watercress. It doesn’t have the sweetness I’m used to in green oolongs. This tastes more savory. No milkiness. I feel like I’m having an off day. My nose isn’t picking up nuances as usual. The mouthfeel is silky smooth.

Steep two: the leaves have a honeyed vegetal scent so I’m thinking that the sweetness will make an appearance this round. Ah, there’s the sweetness on the tip of my tongue. The overall flavor is still savory though. It’s veggie soup. This isn’t milky still but very interesting nonetheless.

Steep 3: still veggie. This tea is not really holding my interest. It’s not bad but it doesn’t seem to have many interesting nuances. Or is there some thing wrong with me? Maybe I should take a tea break. :(

Steep four: The flavor doesn’t seem to have changed much. Hmmmm. Maybe I’m just not in the mood for this. I find it hard to believe that tea from Taiwan has made a disappointing tea.

Uniquity

Ugh, maybe the tea apathy is catching? Hopefully your tastebuds and tea love are intact!

Mercuryhime

I’m thinking I’m just having a change in tea cravings. I’m making a dessert tea right now to test my theory. Will report back. :)

Uniquity

That seemed to be the issue for me as well. Of all things, a bagged chai set me straight again. I am actually going to DT tonight to pick up a small amount of two of their unflavoured oolongs…and I haven’t even tried your samples yet! Hopefully this isn’t the start of a tea buying binge! : )

Mercuryhime

Good luck at DT! I did give you a bit of milk oolong from DT so you can see if you like the smell before buying. :) I still need to visit their new stores in Manhattan.
I’m thinking I’ll stick to flavored stuff for now. It might just be my overall mood. Who knows.

Comments

Uniquity

Mercuryhime

My profile pic features my two lovable puppies, Mr. Snuggles and Sr. Caliente.

NYC / Westchester