I may be the first to try out this tea; my DAVID’s Tea order came today, and with it three samples from the Winter Collection. So excited!

Then, I saw the sample size, and thought… what do I do with this? It’s so small. Can I even get a cup out of it? I decided to see what came out of the package (literally, 5 chunks of what looked like grey fuzzy coal), and then steep it twice the recommended amount to get at least a hint of the flavors.

Smells like water, looks like a light amber. Steeped twice for 7 minutes each, just trying my best to milk out everything I could, flavor-wise.

The flavor is so vague and faint, it’s hard to tell what this is. Some spice, maybe? A hint of apple. I added some Truvia to see if the flavors come out to play a bit more. I get apple now, most definitely, and plum oddly. Fig is a bit of a stretch (even though I’m pretty sure those chunks I saw were figs).

Dammit. I need more than 5g to tell if this is something I want to purchase. Right now? It’s just faintly flavored water. Note for next time: less water, smaller cup, extra long steeping for these mini-samples.

M Mack

This tea is so chunky and heavy 5g is no where near enough for a good taste!

M Mack

This tea is so chunky and heavy 5g is no where near enough for a good taste!

I own an obscene amount of tea, and am always happy to share. Just got back from a six month exploration of Western Europe, so I’ve got some pretty lovely tea that we just can’t easily find this side of the pond. Woot!

In addition to loving tea, I’m a dating columnist, nerd, and avid knitter. I read way too much, type even more, and spend my ‘free’ time exploring, playing board games, reading, hiking, hanging with friends.

Allergies: Strawberries and all grains. I’m having a mild allergic reaction to both lavender and some roses in tea, although for some reason the French seem to have figured out how to do this without making me ill. I also avoid sugar and Splenda where possible.

Burnaby, BC, Canada