drank Birthday Cake by DAVIDsTEA

Okay birthday cake, you’re up next in the taste testing evening extraordinaire of decaf teas of (hopeful) deliciousness.

So, I get why people think this smells like maple syrup. Having grown up surrounded by the stuff, I’d say this smells more like pancake syrup with some maple flavor added to it, Aunt Jemimma style. Steeped it smells pretty much the same.

I’m surprised by the taste of this tea. It tastes.. a bit buttery, a tiny bit maple-y at the end of the sip, and that’s really it. I decided to add some Truvia because, well, I thought it would add some complexity. Thankfully, it did. I can taste more of the icing-like flavor now, and the maple tastes real and ripe. It’s still lacking for me though. Zero cake, and zero… I dunno. Depth?

Maybe I steeped it wrong (followed the package instructions) and I know I leafed it perfectly. I’ll try again with the few tsp I have left, however I doubt I’ll ever buy this again.

VariaTEA

This tea tends to be pretty weak in the flavor department so it is probably not your brewing that caused you to find it lacking. Personally I dont mind this tea in the evening because I think I just really like the smell of it. It’s not a bad latte – that helps bring out the creaminess and some sweetness

OMGsrsly

Definitely pancake syrup, not real maple syrup. :) I might have a cup now, though.

MissB

The more I drink it, the more of the pancake syrup-y smell comes out, and the more I think… overbuttered popcorn? Or maybe even caramel corn. It’s like there’s that same feeling on my lips. I kinda like it considering I’ve gone grain-free in the past few months. I’ll definitely try it as a latte, or maybe a latte smoothie?

MissB

It does smell divine though.. I could easily have my house smell like this all winter.

OMGsrsly

Try a tiny tiny pinch of salt in it, wow. Just a few grains.

Comments

VariaTEA

OMGsrsly

Try a tiny tiny pinch of salt in it, wow. Just a few grains.

Love: fruity, dessert, chai, spicy, all types of tea.

London, England