drank Macaroon by American Tea Room

Received my American Tea Room order exactly as anticipated, and only two business days after ordering. Impressive!

I grabbed a bunch of samples, and this was one of them. One liter of tea used up the entire sample, so this is a sipdown as well.

First smell impression was an actual macaron from some upscale French patisserie, along with a faint floral note. Steeped, it smells cocoa-y for the most part, with a bit of something else that eludes me.

The first sips confuzzle me a bit. Cocoa is smooth and very present, with something taming it down like vanilla or coconut. Floral notes have disappeared, and there’s a cakey sweetness left after the sip is finished. I can imagine this as a lovely latte, decadent and pastry-like. However all I want is a sweet fix right now before I try and sleep at, yes, 8:23am. Such is the life of a single parent whose most creative time (2am) coincides with her youngest’s late night coughing fits/snack requests/tv show watching attempts.

Sweetened with Truvia, I get the good kind of buttery flaky pastry and creamy coconut, while the cocoa turns a bit darker/bitter (like raw caocao, this is a good bitter). It’s decadent and delicious, and I think I’ll add this to my reserve order list.

JustJames

hmmmm, you might like dammann freres oolong chataigne…..

MissB

I love oolongs, however they seem to hate me as of late. I’m more than willing to try, it may just be a waste of really lovely and expensive tea though, and I’d hate that.

JustJames

hmmmm, i’m willing to send you some in our swap. if nothing else you can happily sniff it? it’s quite lovely to smell. very chameleon-esque. =0) i reserve the right to invent words.

MissB

Heh, as you can well tell, I too make up words often. :) Love it! Send away! I’ll brew a small amount and pass the rest along if my stomach decides to play like a bad sport.

Comments

JustJames

hmmmm, you might like dammann freres oolong chataigne…..

Burnaby, BC, Canada