drank Pineapple Matcha by Red Leaf Tea

I used to have an unhealthy love affair with matcha. That is, two huge mugs a day, with coconut or almond milk, and a hint of maple syrup. Always ceremonial grade, and always in a downtown Calgary tea house. The staff knew when I walked in the door what to make me, and would have it ready by the time I’d set up my laptop. The manager once told me that when I was ‘rich and famous’, she’d cordon off ’B’s table’ like they do for Hemmingway in Havana.

Matcha and I had a bit of a falling out, only because I moved around a lot after that and have yet to find a public writing spot that I love as much (and that also serves proper matcha). So when I saw that Red Leaf sells many different, flavored variations of matcha? Oh yes. I’m ordering.

I’ve shared quite a bit of this order already, however this is the first I’ve tried.

Size: Small (30g)
Quality: Basic
Type: Regular
Flavor: Delicate

Out of the bag, this smells like candied pineapple to me. There’s a hint of a chemical quality to it, however for the most part it’s pure pineapple. I missed how much a ‘scoop’ is (there’s a handy printout that comes with your order), so I winged it and went with 1 tsp for 8oz of coconut milk, and four ice cubes in the blender. Whirrr…. done.

Hm. I think my proportions are off, as the pineapple tastes bit weak and all I really can taste is the matcha. Of the pineapple that I do taste, it’s at the end of the sip and builds gradually. Sweet, fruity, juicy. It’s going down REALLY easily. :)

Iced
MissB

Sigh. Having issues posting my review to the Red Leaf site. Any suggestions?

Also, what’s the proportion, or the ‘scoop’ that Red Leaf talks about? Anyone know? There was no scoop in my order.

VariaTEA

I usually use 1/2 tsp for about an 8 oz mug – that was a suggestion from my roommate and it usually tastes pretty good. However, I think that is way off from what you are actually supposed to use.

Nxtdoor

It is my opinion they are referring to matcha scoops. As opposed to a normal size tea scoop. Shops who sell matcha also sell special matcha scoops which make it easier to measure the right amount.

MissB

Do you mean the matcha spoon? The curved wood or bamboo stick – looking thing?

MissB

I feel like my proportions are so off… if I go here http://www.redleaftea.com/matcha-recipes-en/cold-matcha-latte.html it says 1 tbsp for 22 oz of liquid.

MissB

Sigh, and the hot version says 12 oz. I think I’ll try 12 tomorrow.

OMGsrsly

1 tbsp? I usually use 1/2 to 1 tsp for 16oz, and find it plenty. I think I had the robust pineapple though. Or maybe distinctive.

MissB

Okay. So my proportions really are off then. Or maybe I should just order distinctive/robust in the future!

OMGsrsly

I just use 1/2-1 tsp in 16oz because that’s what I use of plain matcha. If you like the caffeine hit, then definitely use more! :) Robust is too much, in my opinion. It can get a bit chemical tasting, depending on the flavour.

I have the caramel matchaccino, and using a scoop (it’s just about 2 tbsp I think) of it in 16oz is too much for me. When I ordered, I don’t think I had the option of choosing “delicate”.

OMGsrsly

D’oh! I have the COCONUT matchaccino.

MissB

I’m going to try Dexter’s sample that she sent me of tropical tomorrow, and maybe some caramel macchachino. Ah, good to know about the robust.

OMGsrsly

If you like coconut, I can share mine too. I have 2 cups of the powder still. O.o

MissB

Holy moly! Love to try it. I’ve got about that of the caramel macchachino, and then smaller sizes of matcha pineapple, bavarian cream, caramel, cheesecake, with another seven flavors on their way. :$

OMGsrsly

Oh, you got sucked in! :) I’ll add some to your bag. Do you have any fruity flavours coming? I think that’s mostly what I’m interested in at least sniffing. The Bavarian Cream I thought was best as a mixer, to make fruity ice creamy smoothies (with a frozen banana and almond milk usually).

MissB

All creamy -type stuff (english toffee, irish cream, etc.) unfortunately.

OMGsrsly

Oh well! CrowKettle is sharing some more (potentially weird) fruity flavours when we next see each other.

CelebriTEA

Hmmm…I am enjoying investigating everyone else’s customs.
I have not enjoyed it with plain water.
What I have found I enjoy the most so far…
2 bamboo scoops of matcha in 10 oz whole milk with a packet of stevia…
mmmmm….I just had 2 glasses after church and I am sure I am becoming addicted.
Do you like it hot?
I cannot do coconut
milk as it seems thin and watery?

I need to order more:
Eggnog, Pineapple, White Chocolate & Cheesecake…
Why is this soooo addictive?
Do you think the supposed health benefits are as strong and real as touted?

Comments

MissB

Sigh. Having issues posting my review to the Red Leaf site. Any suggestions?

VariaTEA

Nxtdoor

MissB

Do you mean the matcha spoon? The curved wood or bamboo stick – looking thing?

MissB

Sigh, and the hot version says 12 oz. I think I’ll try 12 tomorrow.

OMGsrsly

D’oh! I have the COCONUT matchaccino.

MissB

All creamy -type stuff (english toffee, irish cream, etc.) unfortunately.

CelebriTEA

Hmmm…I am enjoying investigating everyone else’s customs.
I have not enjoyed it with plain water.
What I have found I enjoy the most so far…
2 bamboo scoops of matcha in 10 oz whole milk with a packet of stevia…
mmmmm….I just had 2 glasses after church and I am sure I am becoming addicted.
Do you like it hot?
I cannot do coconut
milk as it seems thin and watery?

I need to order more:
Eggnog, Pineapple, White Chocolate & Cheesecake…
Why is this soooo addictive?
Do you think the supposed health benefits are as strong and real as touted?

Burnaby, BC, Canada