Inspired by VariaTea and her desiring some of this, I opened up the package (just received this morning!) to try it out.

Flavor Level: Delicate
Size: Large (60g)
Grade: Classic
Type: Regular
Buy it here: http://www.redleaftea.com/matcha-tea/cookies-and-cream-matcha.html

Opening the bag was a pleasant experience. I smelled mostly cream, with a hint of something chocolatey and cripsy, if you can smell crispy. Mixed it up in some coconut milk with the FREE wooden matcha spoon included in this order (thank you!), and started sipping away.

The first thing I taste is the cream, and then a very much oreo-like chocolate cookie. I haven’t had an actual oreo in many years due to grain intolerances, so I can only go on memory – and it actually feels like I’ve eaten an oreo cookie.

There is something that tastes a bit off to me though, and I can’t quite place it. Maybe a chemical-ness to the vanilla/cream? It may however be my coconut milk (the kids have a tendency to leave it out on the counter), so I’ll leave it at that.

A tasty treat, and one I’ll definitely have more of.

Iced
VariaTEA

haha oh MissB, you are killing me here. Your positive review makes me want to order it that much more. I am glad you enjoyed it though :)

MissB

If it helps, I like some of the other flavors more. I adore cookies and cream ice cream, and this is.. good, however I’ll probably re-order other stuff. I can easily send you some, really!

VariaTEA

You have already given me so much but thank you for your offer. I really don’t know how I will ever repay your kindness. Although I am wondering what level of flavor your recommend for the Bavarian Cream? Is delicate enough to taste the flavors?

OMGsrsly

I’m not MissB, but I found Bavarian Cream to be best for mixing with other flavours. It’s essentially a vanilla-y pudding, so faint vanilla, lots of creaminess. I think I had robust but would order one level down.

VariaTEA

I am happy to take suggestions from all so thank you OMGsrsly I will definitely keep the level below Robust. Just out of curiosity, what flavor did you enjoy the most? In case I decide to order a few different flavors.

OMGsrsly

Pineapple, coconut, raspberries and cream, caramel. The French vanilla is more vanilla and less cream than the Bavarian cream. I’ve also had a lot of unusual flavours thanks to CrowKettle. None were bad! Hemp, lucuma, mangosteen (I think), etc. I want to try seabuckthorn.

VariaTEA

Thanks to Sil I was able to try Pineapple, Raspberries and Cream, and Caramel. She also sent me Madagascar Vanilla which I thought lacked some flavor. I will look into the French Vanilla and the Coconut though. Thanks for the input!

MissB

I’m so out of touch here… was out most of the night. So I’ve only tried two so far (pineapple and this one), and have like 10 others to go through still. Kind of excited to, really… and yet it now seems like a whole lotta matcha. ;)

JennyFur

I want that pineapple so bad I could cry. I can’t wait to get some money together and buy some.

VariaTEA

Red Leaf Tea is a company that I wish I could buy loads and loads of things from but I just can’t afford their costs. Their flavored matcha is amazing but even their buy – get – free options are costly. However, I was able to snag some Bavarian Cream and Cookies & Cream at half price so that was nice. One day, when I am not a student, and I have money, I intend to place a glorious Red Tea Leaf order with all the flavors. haha.

MissB

The small pouches (30g) seem so small to me – I’m scared to give it all away before I’ve even had a chance to try one, so my second order I grabbed large pouches. With Robert’s discount for reviewing, it makes it much more affordable. JennyFur, I’ll see how much Pineapple I have to send you a sample.

OMGsrsly

MissB, consider that you apparently only need 2g matcha per cup. (Apparently! I had no idea.) So you get 15 servings per small bag, which isn’t too bad.

MissB

Heh. Let’s just say I went a bit overboard when sharing samples… and then trying to figure out how much I needed per cup. Once Robert sent me a matcha spoon though – well now it’s perfect every time. I wish I could say it’s 1 tsp, or 2g, or whatever it is… it’s just a heaping spoonful of this really cute bamboo spoon.

Still, this is good to know OMGsrsly. I can now parse out some more for sharing.

Comments

VariaTEA

JennyFur