In a *#%$@ mood tonight. Was awesome earlier, then met up with someone I forgot sucks all the joy out of me (even as they make me laugh), and so this is why I’m eating 85% dark chocolate, drinking this tea, and winding a ball of really finicky, tangled, super beautiful and expensive yarn to knit my troubles away.

I like this tea, although I find I liked it more when it was still hot. Cooled, it’s a vaguely flavored rooibos; hot, it’s got a creamy lime tang to it. Cooled and sweetened? Slightly creamy, tangy lemon lime. Yes, I’ll finish this one quickly now.

Boiling 8 min or more
JustJames

knitting does build neural nets that help to process stress…. as does spinning.

Cavocorax

Sorry to hear that. Hope the knitting/tea/chocolate trifecta makes it all better.

I spent all evening getting 4 rows of my scarf started, only to realize I made a mistake on that last row, and then had to frog it all. :P I’m back to my 1st row at least, and willing to try sleeping with at least that satisfaction.

MissB

Oh no! I actually started this hat last night with a different yarn, but then the intended recipient shared a different color choice, so I trekked out to a new yarn store to find something suitable. They should’ve wound it for me, and yet… sigh. I’m still working on it, three hours later. Frogged what I started, too. Hopefully I can get to row #1 like you!

Veronica

Yesterday must have been a day for frogging. I had to rip back almost an entire side of the Katniss cowl because it was an inch and a half longer than my customer wanted. Argh. It’s those moments when I’m truly grateful for tea.

Amariel

One of these days I’ll learn to knit or do something crafty.

MissB

I learned to knit because frankly, I had nothing else to do at the time. Once I sat and committed to it, and realized how meditative it was for me, I was hooked. Then I started going to yarn shops… drool. I want to touch everything – and I do!

I said once to a friend of mine, “I want to play saxophone.” He replied, “If you wanted to, you’d already be doing it.” He’s right. I have yet to play saxophone, but once I got it in my mind I wanted to learn to knit… I just did it. We all make time for what’s important to us. For me, knitting is me time – crucial when you’ve got kidlets, your own business, and a wonderfully crazy life. ;)

Really though, that may sound harsh, however I mean it kindly. It’s something I ask myself now each time I say I “want” anything. Do I want it so much that I’ll take action right now? No? Okay. I’m cool with that.

Amariel

“Once I sat and committed to it, and realized how meditative it was for me, I was hooked.”

Haha was the pun intended?

Also, I totally get what you say, and for me, yes I want to learn, but clearly I have other priorities or I’d be doing it now.

hooking is crochet.

Amariel

Darn. I got it wrong. My bad.

Cavocorax

What’s a Katniss cowl look like?

Also, speaking of hooking – I just bought the Stitch ‘n Bitch ebook for crochet because it was called the Happy Hooker. :D I’ll teach myself crochet someday, once I’m more comfortable with knitting.

MissB- I find it super relaxing as well! Well, when it’s working.

Amariel

Which is easier to learn…crochet or knitting? Clearly I know very little about either.

JustJames

Cavo…. depends on the person. i’m a master class knitter. i can do it with my eyes closed and have been designing for years. ask me to crochet and i just ask you to repeat yourself over and over and over, lol.

OMGsrsly

OMG James. We totally need to do a tea and knitting meetup in Victoria. You super busy boxing week? :) Or we could do it here and include MissB and other area Steeps.

Cavocorax

James – well if crochet doesn’t work out for me, I won’t be discouraged.

Also it’d be awesome if you guys met up and got crafty. I’d love to see your projects – I’m always looking for ideas.

JustJames

sounds good! i think my right hand might finally be up for it!! (it’s been 8 months). i’m working on that sweater that neo wore in the matrix… the one with all the runs. =0) not in a neutral though, screaming red…. lethal looking. =0D little old ladies look at me suspiciously at first as though i’m having them on (a punk dude with a red mohawk armed with stabby needles), then we argue about technique. life is fun.

MissB

Vic or Van, you guys let me know, and I’ll be there. :)

Veronica

Here’s a picture of the coel Jennifer Lawrence wore in the movie.

Ravelry has several patterns for both knitted and crocheted versions. There are a bunch for sell on Etsy, too.

Veronica

Ha! I can’t knit to save my life. I’ve tried several times, and even taken a couple of classes. Crochet, on the other hand, I taught myself from a book, and I picked up crochet in no time. Someday I will learn to knit! :)

Cavocorax

Veronica – thanks! I never noticed it in the movie (unless it’s from the sequel). It looks very warm and cuddly, but it would take a lot of work too. Wow.

OMGsrsly

Thanks, Veronica! I had seen some versions on Ravelry, but hadn’t seen the original. A lot of the Ravelry ones I’ve seen are less casual and slouchy, more fitted. It’s neat how everyone interprets things for their own style. :)

Shmiracles

all this talk of knitting and crochet is REALLY making me consider picking it back up. something i would have never expected to think about again. yet another reason to admire tea people and this site :)

MissB

I love to knit, even when I have to rip back the entire crown of a hat because I failed to read the instructions properly. ;)

That cowl is gorgeous. Just gorgeous!

Amariel

I’ve never seen a cowl like that before.

JustJames

interesting, that’s an amended version of an infinity scarf…. one that gives an anchor.

this is the one i’m building: http://filmschoolthrucommentaries.wordpress.com/2012/12/30/color-and-the-look-of-a-film-visual-analysis/matrix-4/

but in a really vibrant cranberry. (i’m not a neutral kind of person….. i also added way more runs, lol)

Veronica

You’re welcome! It is different and much more structured than what’s been popular for the past few years, but I like how it sort of looks like armor.

OMGsrsly – I find the different interpretations utterly fascinating. This is the first trend I have followed from the beginning in a long time. From what I’ve seen the knitted ones seem to be more fitted and have the ringed neckline (which I love!). The crocheted versions seem to be looser and more casual. I’ve seen a few with a structured neck, but most seem to have a looser cowl. All the ones I’ve made have slouchy necks because they are more comfortable. :)

JustJames – Please post a picture when your sweater is finished. It sounds amazing.

Comments

JustJames

knitting does build neural nets that help to process stress…. as does spinning.

Amariel

One of these days I’ll learn to knit or do something crafty.

Amariel

Haha was the pun intended?

hooking is crochet.

Amariel

Darn. I got it wrong. My bad.

Cavocorax

What’s a Katniss cowl look like?

MissB- I find it super relaxing as well! Well, when it’s working.

Cavocorax

James – well if crochet doesn’t work out for me, I won’t be discouraged.

MissB

Vic or Van, you guys let me know, and I’ll be there. :)

Veronica

Here’s a picture of the coel Jennifer Lawrence wore in the movie.

Shmiracles

MissB

That cowl is gorgeous. Just gorgeous!

Amariel

I’ve never seen a cowl like that before.

Burnaby, BC, Canada