drank Cocotte by THE O DOR

Wow. Definitely one of the most unusual teas I’ve tried, and one I’ve wanted to try for a while. Can it really smell, taste, like fresh tomatoes? Yes, yes it does. It brings me back to living at the Salt Spring Centre of Yoga as a karma yogi a few years back, where everything we ate or made for the guests came out of the garden. Tomatoes and beans were the huge crops that year, with more than a handful of varietals of each. I learned how to save and process the seeds there, and sent a bunch to my son’s Grandmother for her to try out in her own garden. This smell, flavor, feeling… reminds me of processing those seeds. Mushing up the tomatoes not fit for eating in a huge tub of water, letting them ‘process’ for a day or two so that the seeds rose to the top of the water, skimming the seeds off and dumping the rest of the bucket in the compost pile, and then carefully arranging the seeds on screens to dry in the greenhouse.

Yes, this tea reminds me of all of that.

There’s also something else in the mix. Lemon, perhaps? It’s faint, and adds a bit of whimsy to it, which may be the first time I’ve ever described a tea as whimsical. Super fun!

Thank you to Ysurella for sharing this with me!

1.5 tsp in 12 oz.

Kittenna

Oh dear… I love tomatoes, but my recollection of the smell of “processing” tomatoes to collect seeds does not make me want to try this tea! (Also, I had a tea from Whispering Pines that tasted like tomato soup… not a flavour I want in my tea, it seems.)

Anna

Ysaurella sample twins!

OMGsrsly

That sounds so cool! :)

Dustin

What a strange tea!

Jennkay

Wow, sounds like a really cool experience. And an interesting tea!

Ysaurella

I’m very happy you liked this surprising tea.
I do agree, there is lemon too in addition of fresh tomato.

cteresa

Yep, lemon – I also tried this thanks to Ysaurella and it is one of the strangest tea ideas ever but which somehow it sings. Its own very eccentric tune, but it somehow works. Lovely.

cteresa

Kitenna, this does not quite smell like cooked tomatos not processed ones, it´s more like being in the garden and smelling the tomato plant and ripe tomato smell. With a definite hint of the tomato plant or leaf.

Kittenna

Mmmm, I love the smell of tomato foliage!

Comments

Kittenna

Anna

Ysaurella sample twins!

OMGsrsly

That sounds so cool! :)

Dustin

What a strange tea!

Jennkay

Wow, sounds like a really cool experience. And an interesting tea!

Ysaurella

I’m very happy you liked this surprising tea.
I do agree, there is lemon too in addition of fresh tomato.

Kittenna

Mmmm, I love the smell of tomato foliage!

Burnaby, BC, Canada