drank Amsterdam Licorice by Steeped Tea

Ever since I was made aware of this tea’s existence, I wanted to try it. You see, I love (what I call) Dutch licorice. Love, love, LOVE it. It’s very different from black licorice, or just plain licorice, and you’d tell the difference instantly should you have two pieces one right after the other, or if you’re a weirdo like me and used to eat Dutch licorice by the handful as a child. It came as little kitties, or short and hard stubs, and occasionally (for a real treat!) it was in pastille format and had the weird name of Zout, Double Zout or Triple Zout. Yes, that’s salted licorice folks, and it’s amazing… if you’re Dutch. I rarely ate it as a child (too salty!) however I craved it while pregnant with my now 16-year-old, and if I do run into a European deli, it’s the first thing I look for. My former mother-in-law sent me some just this past Christmas.

So as you can imagine, I had high hopes for this tea. While I love licorice teas, and have had a few (So Long and Thanks for All the Licorice from Butiki comes to mind), none have been Dutch licorice.

This tea? This is obviously made by someone who knows the difference between the two, and called it Amsterdam Licorice for a reason. It’s Dutch licorice, and it’s spot on. I’ve added a bit of sweetener to it, however my next go-around, I’ll add some salt to see if it estimates Double Zout.

Thank you Cavocorax for generously sharing the last of your stash of this with me! I was so excited to get this, I literally opened it and brewed it just now as soon as the package arrived.

1.5 tsp in 12 oz.

Flavors: Cream, Licorice

Sounds absolutely amazing!

MissB

I have some left, if you’d like me to send you some? I’m definitely ordering more at some point. Good to see you, BTW! :)

Fjellrev

I tried out the Scandinavians’ version of salted licorice and I think you definitely have to grow up eating it or something in order to truly appreciate it haha.

MissB

I’d say everyone I’ve ever given salted licorice to has spit it out almost instantly and given me a “what the hell?!” look. It’s definitely an acquired taste.

lol @ Miss B… perhaps…
After trying my first like on a darjeeling, I can admit that sometimes
I like to try something a bit different than the norm.
I do love licorice in tea, so it sounds compelling and the added salt
makes it sound far more intriguing.
Thanks a bunch.
Good to be here.
Hopefully my life will calm down a bit SOON ;-)

OMGsrsly

I love it, but I’ve yet to find a variety that isn’t loaded with wheat flour. (Yeah, I know. Licorice root in tea = gross ick. Licorice itself = give me more!)

MissB

I’ll put some aside for you CelebriTEA.

OMG: There’s only licorice flavoring in this one.

Dustin

I LOVE salted licorice! I’ll have to give this tea a try someday!

OMGsrsly

Srsly? :D Definitely going on the wish list, although I can wait to try it. I have SO MANY teas to try!

Cavocorax

YES! I’m really happy that you loved it. It just wasn’t for me, but you seem to have been the perfect person to send it too! Hahah

Comments

CelebriTEA

Sounds absolutely amazing!

Fjellrev

lol @ Miss B… perhaps…
After trying my first like on a darjeeling, I can admit that sometimes
I like to try something a bit different than the norm.
I do love licorice in tea, so it sounds compelling and the added salt
makes it sound far more intriguing.
Thanks a bunch.
Good to be here.
Hopefully my life will calm down a bit SOON ;-)

MissB

I’ll put some aside for you CelebriTEA.

OMG: There’s only licorice flavoring in this one.

Dustin

I LOVE salted licorice! I’ll have to give this tea a try someday!

Cavocorax