drank Original Blend by Red Rose

This good, economical bagged black tea was in every household when I was growing up. It still tastes good.

We used to drink it as they do in parts of Germany, with freshly squeezed lemon juice. As a boy, sitting at the table under the sparkling light from the chandelier, I enjoyed watching the red-brown colour change to a sunny gold as I stirred the juice into the porcelain teacup. The flavour became somewhat tart, complementing the fine, whipped cream covered, fresh fruit tortes my mother, grandmother and great-grandmother used to bake.

For breakfast, I douse it with a lot of milk and leave the bag in my mug to get every last molecule of flavour. Put some Suraj tea masala (ground spice mixture from Superstore’s Indian aisle) into the water as it is heating to make your own authentic chai. Add further ground spices to adjust the flavour to your taste. Serve with hot milk. The robust tea flavour shines through admirably.

Mr Steep likes tea plain, or variously with lemon, fruit juice, honey, spices, cow’s milk or soy milk, as appropriate.

Mr Steep avoids flavoured teas: flavouring rarely makes something out of nothing.

Mr Steep applies this philosophy to good coffee, too.

Calgary AB Canada