Okay, so this was the last tea I tried from my Sherlock sampler, and the first to review. I left it to last because I have an absurd hatred for ginger, and didn’t think I was going to like this tea at all. What really surprised me was that it’s actually pretty good, and you can taste the ginger but it’s not like being punched in the mouth – it just mixes really nicely with the other chai spices.

As this is my first review, I had to decide on a scoring system (which took waaaay longer than it should have) and I finally decided to basically give it a score out of 10 and then scale it up. 0-50 is bad-average and 50-100 is average-great. I know I’m a mould-breaking genius. I gave this a 68 because 70+ is reserved for the REALLY great teas, and it wasn’t quite there, plus 69 sounded too rude.

If anybody actually reads this, you’ll realise that I am really picky and pseudo-scientific when it comes to trying new teas, and first have them plain, then with sugar/honey/milk/cream and combinations of the above. I actually preferred this one plain, which is so weird for me, especially with chai’s, so I’m not entirely sure what’s up with that. After having it plain, I added honey, then milk (because I’d let it cool too much to dissolve sugar crystals). I haven’t tried it with sugar or cream yet.

Plain – ginger comes through first and foremost, but it’s not too strong a flavour, it’s balanced out with the black tea.

With honey – as soon as I added the honey the ginger flavour gave way to the chai spices, and I didn’t like it as much. May be better with sugar than honey.

With honey and milk – the milk rounded out the flavour quite a bit, and oddly brought out the flavour of the pepper in the chai. My least favourite of the three ways I tried it, but still drinkable.

My overall score for each tea will be based on my favourite way to drink it (plain, in this case) and despite not being a fan of ginger I really enjoyed this tea! I would definitely recommend this blend, particularly to ginger lovers.

P.S. Apologies if anyone actually read this entire thing, it’s ended up a bit longer than I expected – I tend to drone on a bit. Hopefully future reviews will be shorter, seeing as this was my first one!

Boiling 6 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 350 ML
Hello.Kiki

Yay! First review! It took me forever to get a rating system too (normally I would just go by the smiley faces, lol)

Nattie

You have no idea how long I agonised over it! I think I may be a bit too harsh of a marker… Oops!

Thanks for sticking with it and reading it! I didn’t actually think anyone would (:

Hello.Kiki

I’m kind of the same way when I try new tea. I reserve my first cup to be plain, the second maybe with sugar, third with honey. I’ve only very recently been trying a few with milk but it still seems weird to me. not sure why? haha.

Nattie

Haha I’ve only recently started having tea without milk! I guess adding milk is just the way I’ve been brought up, with being British and all :P I’m glad I’m not alone on the kinda-sorta-scientific stuff!

welcome to the madness guys! :) nothing wrong with long review!

Comments

Hello.Kiki

Nattie

welcome to the madness guys! :) nothing wrong with long review!

Hi. I first got into loose leaf teas when a friend of mine showed me Cara’s Sherlock fandom blends on Adagio a couple of years back, but they weren’t on sale in the UK so I started trying other kinds instead and have been hooked for over a year.

I mainly drink black teas, and they make up the majority of my collection, but I am expanding my horizons and trying to include a variety of other teas, too. Flavoured blacks are my favourites, but I’m trying to include natural teas too. I will update my likes and dislikes as I discover more about my palate, but for now:

Tea-likes: a lot of different things, but my absolute favourites are caramel, chestnut, chilli, raspberry, coconut, and really fruity teas

Tea-dislikes: vanilla, ginger, coriander/cilantro and cardamom

I am a 19 year old student, studying English Literature and hoping to go into publishing one day! I stopped drinking alcohol only a few months after becoming old enough to drink it, and don’t miss it one bit. Other than drinking, hoarding and reviewing tea, my hobbies include reading, doing quizzes and puzzles, TV quiz shows (about the only things I watch regularly, unless Sherlock or Doctor Who is on), basketball (NBA, both the video game and actual sport – Chicago Bulls fan, and playing with my university girls’ team. I also watch my partner play, as he’s on the men’s team) and football/soccer (just watching – a lifelong supporter of Sunderland AFC).

I should probably also mention my tea-rating system, which seems to be much harsher than others I’ve seen on here. It’s not always concrete, but I’ll try to define it:

• 50 is the base-line which all teas start at. A normal, nothing-special industrial-type black teabag would be a 50.

• 0 – 49 is bad, and varying degrees of bad. This is probably the least concrete as I hardly ever find something I don’t like.

• I have never given below a 20, and will not unless that tea is SO bad that I have to wash my mouth out after one sip.

• This means most teas I don’t enjoy will be in the 30 – 50 range.

• 51+ are teas I enjoy. A good cup of tea will be in the 50 – 70 range.

• If I rate a tea at 70+, it means I really, really like it. Here’s where the system gets a little more concrete, and I can probably define this part, as it’s rare for a tea to get there.

• 71- 80: I really enjoyed this tea, enough to tell somebody about, and will probably hang onto it for a little longer than I perhaps should because I don’t want to lose it.

• 81 – 90: I will power through this tea before I even know it’s gone, and will re-order the next time the mood takes me.

• 91 – 100: This is one of the best teas I’ve ever tasted, and I will re-order while I still have a good few cups left, so that I never have to run out.

I am always happy to trade and share my teas with others, so feel free to look through my cupboard (which should be up to date) and message me if you’re interested in doing a swap!

I tend to ramble. Sorry.