drank ButterBeer by Custom-Adagio Teas

Oh. My. God.

I’ve tried this tea from my HP potions sampler a few times and in a few different ways by now, but have yet to review it and I’m not sure why. Possibly because I usually only post one or two of the teas I have each day, and there are others I’ve had more to say about than this one. Today, though, this was the unquestionable star of my tea menu.

I made little melt-in-the-middle chocolate puddings for myself and my partner a couple of days ago, and bought a small pot of double cream to go with them. We finished most of it at the time, but there was a little left which I decided to add to tea. This was the first one I had this way, as I’ve often thought upon drinking it that it would go great with some cream (next on my list is coconut). It was so great that I broke my caffeine curfew for an extra cup.

The usual flavours of caramel and vanilla are present, and the cream flavour (which was already present) is merely enhanced and makes me forget that I am not actually sitting in the Leaky Cauldron drinking a real butterbeer, as it thickens it up and is almost exactly how I imagined it in the books. The aroma is amazing, and made my whole flat smell like a bakery. Drank with cream, this could totally replace dessert and actually con your stomach into thinking it’s had some.

Despite my complete awe at the even better than usual taste of this tea with cream added, my usual thoughts of ‘this should really have some rum flavouring to it’ are not diminished, if not heightened. At the moment, it is a wonderful “virgin” tea, but I always pictured butterbeer to have an alcoholic flavour without actually containing alcohol, and I think that this would make it taste more authentic. I still have around 1/4 of a shot of rum in a tiny bottle from when I was sick and used it to make a hot toddy, and I may just be tempted to make an exception to my no alcohol rule to try this theory out. There’s barely anything left, after all…

Maybe I should send some of this tea to the guys at the Harry Potter Studio Tours, with instructions to add a splash of cream, as this was better than the ‘real’ butterbeer that I drank there! I will note, however, that this was incredibly sweet and cloying, and I would not recommend it to people that aren’t big on dessert teas. I would also say that a small cup should be enough, as I feel a whole mugful would be too rich.

hapatite

Omg, would love to try this! Your description is great. I too did not enjoy the “butterbeer” at HP universal.

Nattie

Aw I wish I had have known, I would’ve included some in your swap package! Definitely try it if you can get your hands on some. So much better than the disappointing ‘proper’ butterbeer!

Comments

hapatite

Nattie

Hi. I first got into loose leaf teas when a friend of mine showed me Cara’s Sherlock fandom blends on Adagio a couple of years back, but they weren’t on sale in the UK so I started trying other kinds instead and have been hooked for over a year.

I mainly drink black teas, and they make up the majority of my collection, but I am expanding my horizons and trying to include a variety of other teas, too. Flavoured blacks are my favourites, but I’m trying to include natural teas too. I will update my likes and dislikes as I discover more about my palate, but for now:

Tea-likes: a lot of different things, but my absolute favourites are caramel, chestnut, chilli, raspberry, coconut, and really fruity teas

Tea-dislikes: vanilla, ginger, coriander/cilantro and cardamom

I am a 19 year old student, studying English Literature and hoping to go into publishing one day! I stopped drinking alcohol only a few months after becoming old enough to drink it, and don’t miss it one bit. Other than drinking, hoarding and reviewing tea, my hobbies include reading, doing quizzes and puzzles, TV quiz shows (about the only things I watch regularly, unless Sherlock or Doctor Who is on), basketball (NBA, both the video game and actual sport – Chicago Bulls fan, and playing with my university girls’ team. I also watch my partner play, as he’s on the men’s team) and football/soccer (just watching – a lifelong supporter of Sunderland AFC).

I should probably also mention my tea-rating system, which seems to be much harsher than others I’ve seen on here. It’s not always concrete, but I’ll try to define it:

• 50 is the base-line which all teas start at. A normal, nothing-special industrial-type black teabag would be a 50.

• 0 – 49 is bad, and varying degrees of bad. This is probably the least concrete as I hardly ever find something I don’t like.

• I have never given below a 20, and will not unless that tea is SO bad that I have to wash my mouth out after one sip.

• This means most teas I don’t enjoy will be in the 30 – 50 range.

• 51+ are teas I enjoy. A good cup of tea will be in the 50 – 70 range.

• If I rate a tea at 70+, it means I really, really like it. Here’s where the system gets a little more concrete, and I can probably define this part, as it’s rare for a tea to get there.

• 71- 80: I really enjoyed this tea, enough to tell somebody about, and will probably hang onto it for a little longer than I perhaps should because I don’t want to lose it.

• 81 – 90: I will power through this tea before I even know it’s gone, and will re-order the next time the mood takes me.

• 91 – 100: This is one of the best teas I’ve ever tasted, and I will re-order while I still have a good few cups left, so that I never have to run out.

I am always happy to trade and share my teas with others, so feel free to look through my cupboard (which should be up to date) and message me if you’re interested in doing a swap!

I tend to ramble. Sorry.