I am currently enjoying my first ever matcha(ccino) courtesy of my mystery box from MissB! I’d first like to say that she was brilliant with it, and very generous and I’m sure she must have scrolled through my wishlist to pick out all of the teas I wanted, including this one, when I didn’t even ask her to. So thanks, MissB!

I’d secondly like to say that this is completely delicious and where has it been all my life?! I made it up this morning as soon as I was dressed (after having hopped out of bed half an hour earlier than I usually manage at the thought of trying this) using 250ml of cold milk and 14g of matcha powder, which I whisked in a jug and then poured into a glass. I underleafed and overmilked (?) ever so slightly, because I had a feeling that I would love it and even an extra mouthful would be appreciated. Which it was. The caramelly taste is lovely, and just sweet enough that you don’t need added sugar – MissB added a note saying that this is pre-sweetened, and for me, they’ve got it just right. There is a slight grassy undertone which i can detect at the end of the sip if I really think about it, but as I’ve never had matcha before I don’t quite know what I’m looking for.

I have enough matcha left to make one more drink before it’s gone, and on one hand I really want to try this as a hot latte, but on the other, it’s so good as it is that I don’t want to risk it! So torn.

A great way to start my day, particularly when I can’t stomach eating so early on, and also need a caffeine hit to wake me up. I can’t believe that a) this is actually healthy, and b) that I wasn’t drinking a really expensive smoothie! Thanks so much for sending me some of this, MissB, it looks like I’ll be ordering from Red Leaf pretty shortly!

Iced 14 g 8 OZ / 250 ML
Cheri

My understanding is that with the matchaccino you can do it hot, but it is meant to be done iced in milk. (I haven’t tried it, so I can’t say for sure. This is just from my reading their product page.)

MissB

Much better cold, in my opinion – but it’s possible hot. This one is premixed, so all you have to do is add liquid and shake. I’m so happy you loved it – I have a bag I can send you, as I have to avoid sugar, sadly.

I’ll stick with cold then, thanks for the info! (:

MissB :O could you really?! I would be forever in your debt if you did! I am so in love with this tea, it’s making me sad even thinking about drinking the last of it ):

I was actually thinking about buying another mystery box from you, I guess you could send them at the same time? I don’t know if that would help shipping.

Nattie

Also boo to the avoiding sugar! ): I don’t think I could cope, so I have a great deal of respect/awe for you for that!

MissB

I use stevia now, the kind without any sort of additives in it, which is working just peachy at this point. :)

Of course! I’ll put aside a bag for you now, just send me a note about the rest.

Nattie

Stevia’s always been kind of hitty-missy for me. I bought some vanilla flavoured Stevia once which was awful, and may be the reason I don’t like vanilla.

Thank you so much! (:

Comments

Cheri

I’ll stick with cold then, thanks for the info! (:

Thank you so much! (:

I first got into loose leaf teas when a friend of mine showed me Cara’s Sherlock fandom blends on Adagio a couple of years back, but they weren’t on sale in the UK so I started trying other kinds instead and have been hooked for almost two years.

Black teas make up the majority of my collection, but I am expanding my horizons and trying to include a variety of other teas, too. Flavoured blacks are my favourites, but I’m growing increasingly fond of unflavoured teas too. I will update my likes and dislikes as I discover more about my palate, but for now:

Tea-likes: a lot of different things, but my absolute favourites are caramel, chestnut, raspberry, coconut, blueberry and pumpkin

Tea-dislikes: vanilla (on its own), ginger, coriander/cilantro, cardamom, and liquorice

I am a 20 year old student, studying English Literature and hoping to go into publishing one day. Other than drinking, hoarding and reviewing tea, my hobbies include reading, doing quizzes and puzzles, TV quiz shows (about the only things I watch regularly, unless Sherlock or Doctor Who is on), basketball (NBA, both the video game and actual sport – Chicago Bulls fan, and playing with my university girls’ team. I also watch my flatmate play, as he’s on the men’s team) and football/soccer (just watching – a lifelong supporter of Sunderland AFC).

I should probably also mention my tea-rating system, which seems to be much harsher than others I’ve seen on here. It’s not always concrete, but I’ll try to define it:

• 50 is the base-line which all teas start at. A normal, nothing-special industrial-type black teabag of regular old fannings would be a 50.

• 0 – 49 is bad, and varying degrees of bad. This is probably the least concrete as I hardly ever find something I don’t like.

• I have never given below a 20, and will not unless that tea is SO bad that I have to wash my mouth out after one sip. Any teas rated as such are unquestionably awful.

• This means most teas I don’t enjoy will be in the 30 – 50 range. This might just mean the tea is not to my own personal taste.

• 51+ are teas I enjoy. A good cup of tea will be in the 50 – 70 range.

• If I rate a tea at 70+, it means I really, really like it. Here’s where the system gets a little more concrete, and I can probably define this part, as it’s rarer for a tea to get there.

• 71- 80: I really enjoyed this tea, enough to tell somebody about, and will probably hang onto it for a little longer than I perhaps should because I don’t want to lose it.

• 81 – 90: I will power through this tea before I even know it’s gone, and will re-order the next time the mood takes me.

• 91 – 100: This is one of the best teas I’ve ever tasted, and I will re-order while I still have a good few cups left, so that I never have to run out. This is the crème de la crème, the Ivy League of teas.

I never rate a tea down, and my ratings are always based on my best experience of a tea if I drink it multiple times. I feel that this is fairest as many factors could affect the experience of one particular cup.

I am always happy to trade and share my teas with others, so feel free to look through my cupboard and message me if you’re interested in doing a swap. I keep it up-to-date, although this doesn’t mean I will definitely have enough to swap, as I also include my small samples.

I also tend to ramble on a bit.

Huddersfield, UK