drank Phoenix Pearl by Zen Tea

I’m a bit stuffy this morning (yay for being allergic to the cat that sleeps on my pillow), but this smells a lot like the Black Manas from Teajo. Or at least the steeped leaves do. And they’re so pretty when they open up. Wow.

Sipping on this, I think it’s too hot still. I’m not getting a lot from it. As a bonus that means it’s not at all bitter or astringent! Yay!

Now, just as a note, I’ve really disliked every Yunnan black tea I’ve had so far. This one, I actually like! I’m so shocked! I made this up feeling all skeptical and hesitant, but I like it.

The first steep is pretty delicate, but I kinda get the cocoa and honey notes other Steepsters (Steepsterites? Hmm.) have mentioned. It’s not that earthy, but it is definitely sweet and almost thick feeling.

As it cools I’m getting some of that smoky dirt flavour on the roof of my mouth. Maybe that’s what “earthy” means for tea? It’s not detracting from the flavour, unlike some other teas I’ve tried.