My first first flush Darjeeling! Thank you to Stacy for the sample.

This seems so much like a green tea to me. I thought it was!

I won’t give this one a score, because I really have nothing to compare it to. It is not really my kind of tea with its floral, slightly bitter flavor. But, I’m glad I tried it!

Butiki Teas

You might be more into second flush Darjeelings. They are less floral. :)

Thanks Stacy!

Rachel J

I wonder why I got a bit of a bitter bite… Is that supposed to be part of the flavor profile of this tea? I followed the brewing instructions exactly. Hmmmmm…

Butiki Teas

Rachel-I don’ any bitterness from this but I have heard others describe Darjeelings as having a bit of astringency. If you had more, I would recommend lowering the water temperature. If you used the sample bag, as a measuring that might be my fault since I tend to add a little more than one samples worth since I noticed that most people don’t measure out their water.

Rachel J

No problem, just wondering! Yeah, I used the whole sample in exactly 8 ounces. Like I’ve said before, I seem to be really sensitive to astringency, but now I am starting to wonder if it could be my water?! NYC tap water is awesome and even so, I always run it through a faucet-mounted filter. BUT, even so, maybe I should do some taste tests with spring water some time.

Butiki Teas

Hmm, that’s an interesting theory. That might be worth looking into.

Comments

Butiki Teas

You might be more into second flush Darjeelings. They are less floral. :)

Thanks Stacy!

Butiki Teas

Hmm, that’s an interesting theory. That might be worth looking into.

I happily reside in Park Slope, Brooklyn with my husband, our baby son, and our dog. I teach over 40 piano students per week at my home studio and created “Fundamental Keys”, a classical piano method book and video series.

My husband and I are vegan and have been for about 8 years. We are enjoying bringing up our little one in the vegan tradition!

I went through a major tea phase some years ago (2006-2009) and had quite a collection and tasted hundreds of varieties. Then I went off caffeine when I decided to have a baby, and after he was born I got into a nasty coffee habit. Now I’ve come back to tea, thank goodness. I’m finding my tastes have changed quite a bit since my first go at tea fanaticism. Really enjoying some of the amazing and deliciously complex teas I’ve learned about through Steepster!

Brooklyn