drank Spicy Chocolate by Kusmi Tea

I’m going to stop drinking the Kusmi teas for awhile because every time I open the little tin, they smell amazing, but after steeping, there’s not much aroma, and not much overall flavor. Maybe these need to be sweetened to bring out more flavor. I will try that next.

I do think that if something is called “Spicy Chocolate”, then it should taste like chocolate which is also spicy. When I saw this tin, I had visions of either a chocolate chai or a chili chocolate bar kind of flavor. But no.

Boiling 5 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
whatshesaid

When I first started experimenting with lots of new teas, I was disappointed by Kusmi. 6 months later I came back around and now a year later I really appreciate the subtle flavoring and smooth base vs the overpowering chemical flavoring some other companies use.

Caramel and St Petersburg and the chocolate orange mate energy one (I forget the name) are my favorites.

Maybe come back to them later and see how you feel!

Sarsonator

Absolutely! Do you sweeten them or do anything differently with your brewing?

I am going to try the four red fruits again today with a little rock sugar, just to see how that goes. If there’s no improvement for me, I will put these aside, play with other teas, and go back later. :)

whatshesaid

I don’t sweeten them but I don’t sweeten anything anymore…however when I first got my Kusmi teas I was drinking a lot of DellaTerra and Davidstea sweet dessert blends, so Kusmi tasted very pale and dull in comparison.

Now I find I’m a lot more sensitive to sugar and additives in that the sweet dessert teas have become too much for me and I prefer something subtler… But sweetening would definitely help bring out the flavours!

Sarsonator

Thanks for the comments! I think my taste buds just need some time. Right now, when I taste a flavored tea, I think they expect to taste the fruit, spice, etc, but I think they’re also programmed for sweetness. Hopefully that will pass, but for now, I think I’ll lightly sweeten, if needed.

I don’t think I ever sweeten unflavored teas anymore, but I just added a little to my Tao of Tea Black Mango this AM and it’s much better. The mango definitely shows up to play now. I’ll try using a little less each time, until my taste buds stop being little whiney babies screaming for sugar! :p

boychik

i would try steeping in milk(almond,coconut, any) sweeten and see if flavors will come out. i bet it will

Sarsonator

I don’t drink cow milk, but I could try with almond or soy milk. You just heat the milk to the same temp as you would heat water and then steep the tea in that? Never tried that before, but I’m willing to give it a shot! Thanks!

Skulleigh

I generally drink the black Kusmi teas as lattes, and quite enjoy the Russian ones that way. They do tend to kind of blend together (in that I can’t tell much difference between all the essentially Earl Grey variations they have) except Prince Vladimir, which is my favorite. I loathe their Energy tea though. It tastes like an ashtray, bleargh.

Euphoria, that’s the one I love. First one I fell for, actually

boychik

I would simmer it gently in milk for maybe 5 min, maybe more. Terri does it in crockpot for several hrs. It needs sugar too to bring out the flavors( or maple syrup, any sweetener of you choice)

Sarsonator

Thanks for all the suggestions! I am off work tomorrow, so I’ll try this in the AM!

whatshesaid

I will have to try this too!

Sarsonator

I got distracted with other teas, but I did finally try this one gently simmered in almond milk instead of water. I added some rock sugar, too. It was better, but I still wasn’t getting any chocolate flavors. Just a nice tea flavor. I tried it with the usual tea amounts, and even ended up adding more tea hoping to bring out the flavors. Oh well! It was worth a shot!

Comments

whatshesaid

Maybe come back to them later and see how you feel!

Sarsonator

Absolutely! Do you sweeten them or do anything differently with your brewing?

Skulleigh

Euphoria, that’s the one I love. First one I fell for, actually

whatshesaid

I will have to try this too!

Sarsonator

I live in PA and I enjoy tea. I also make and drink both wine and beer. Someday I want to be completely self-sufficient.

I’m also a practical vegan. This means that I never eat meat, and do my very best to avoid products with animal ingredients, but I’m human and I not only make mistakes, but in some very occasional situations, I intentionally may consume something containing said ingredients. I make the best choice I can, when presented with all my options.

I like: Dr. Who, shengs, dark beer, dark teas, my three dogs, oolongs, springtime, barbecues, sunshine, industrial music, happy things, men with beards, science, and learning new things.

I dislike: politics, politicians, inequality, the Vegan Police, teas that are flavored with mint or melon, heavily cinnaBLARGH teas, and anti-intellectualism.

Rating Scale (Stolen from Cam B), effective 7/25/14: