This tea has a lovely malty flavor. I wish I could pick out some additional aromas or flavors, but alas, I cannot.

I steeped this at 205 degrees for 5 minutes. I also did a 2nd steeping for 6 min. I wish this tea was a little sweeter, but it was good. The second steeping had less maltiness and tasted more like plain tea.

Next time, I may add a teensy bit of sugar, just to see how that goes.

TheTeaFairy

I know I steep heavily, but maybe you could try using 2 tsp, cause it’s a light tea in weight. Jin Jun Mei is very flavourful usually, so maybe this way you’ll get more what you are looking for out of it…
Just a suggestion :-)

Sarsonator

Worth a try! I tend to vary the brewing if I try a tea and don’t love it, so I’ll definitely try your suggestion. :)

yyz

I haven’t tried this with Yezi’s tea yet, but someone once recommended doing very short steeps with boiling water for JJM and especially with some of the ones that seemed a little bit off using more western type steep times this has made all the difference. My favourite is around 1.5 TSP/8oz with boiling water steeped for 5-15s the first steep, increasing by about 10s each subsequent steep until the steep tastes week and than I use increasingly longer steep times. As well one of my Jim has this flavour profile that goes through bright and fruity to normal op to a few final steeps of caramel, if you stop at the boring steeps you miss the best ones. Have fun playing with the tea I hope you find a way to make it more enjoyable for you!

Sarsonator

Thanks for the suggestion. I always appreciate the feedback, especially if it helps me find a better way to brew!

Yezi Tea

Hi Sarsonator,

Our recommendation for the Jin Jun Mei is 3 TSP for 8 OZ of water (about 4-5g of tea). We just fixed instructions on the site for water temperature, and your temperature was perfect (boiling water), and time for the 1st brew shouldn’t exceed 30 sec (this will give you a bit stronger tea).

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Meiqin

Comments

TheTeaFairy

Just a suggestion :-)

yyz

Yezi Tea

Hi Sarsonator,

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Meiqin

I live in PA and I enjoy tea. I also make and drink both wine and beer. Someday I want to be completely self-sufficient.

I’m also a practical vegan. This means that I never eat meat, and do my very best to avoid products with animal ingredients, but I’m human and I not only make mistakes, but in some very occasional situations, I intentionally may consume something containing said ingredients. I make the best choice I can, when presented with all my options.

I like: Dr. Who, shengs, dark beer, dark teas, my three dogs, oolongs, springtime, barbecues, sunshine, industrial music, happy things, men with beards, science, and learning new things.

I dislike: politics, politicians, inequality, the Vegan Police, teas that are flavored with mint or melon, heavily cinnaBLARGH teas, and anti-intellectualism.

Rating Scale (Stolen from Cam B), effective 7/25/14: