Method: 1 heaping tsp. @ 182 degrees, grandpa style

Dry Leaf Aroma: Floral and sweet, like honey

Brewing Aroma: Green and vegetal

Flavor: This has a lightly buttery taste, and a very slight bitterness. I can taste some of the floral from the aroma, and this also has a nutty finish in the first cup. The second cup was fascinating and had a light vegetable flavor. Then there were some fruity hints in the third cup, like grape. This tea was a chameleon!

185 °F / 85 °C 8 min or more 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
TheTeaFairy

The reason love oolongs so much is because of their “chameleon” qualities :-)

Sarsonator

I think you’re right! I need to pay closer attention to that. I am really starting to appreciate oolongs, but as I try more, I find that many of the lightly oxidized oolongs taste similar. None have been exactly the same, though. I was a little disappointed at first, but I think I just need to be on the lookout for what makes each one unique!

TheTeaFairy

For me, their true colours really shine with gongfu brewing method. I mean, you still get a decent cup western style, but you miss so much on the way they evolve with short steeps.
Have you tried some aged roasted oolong? My favourite is 2003 Reserve Four Season from Butiki…a REAL chameleon that one, roasty with super sweet caramel notes, spectacular!

Sarsonator

I know. You’re totally right, but I am just way too lazy to brew that way most of the time. I do try to do at least one gong fu style brew with each tea at some point. By the time I get home from work, I am beat, so I really just want to curl up with a book and a cuppa. I know I am probably missing out on some subtleties, but I’ve also found some teas that are truly amazing, even when brewed lazy style :p

TheTeaFairy

I totally understand, short steeps require more prep and time. Lol, “lazy style” works for me too most of the time ;-) In fact, there are teas I even prefer that way. Laoshan Black for instance is one of them!

Comments

TheTeaFairy

The reason love oolongs so much is because of their “chameleon” qualities :-)

TheTeaFairy

According to some, I live the life of a mentally-unhinged misogynistic feminist. It’s a new breed of awesome and I hope to share the path to enlightenment through my unique contradictory mindset.

I use tea to bridge the gap between the two extremes and to temporarily re-hinge my mind. All the puerh in my possession takes on immense energy from both my feminist and misogynistic ways, leading to a perfect balance of yin and yang energy, centering me.

Harrisburg, PA