Method: 1.5 tsp, 8 oz, 208 degrees, 3 minutes, brew in mug strainer

Dry Leaf Aroma: rice, malt, also something familiar, like a sweet candy

Brewing Aroma: Smells like malt

Flavor: Toasty with a hint of rice. This has a stronger, dark malt flavor. It’s also got a little bit of harshness on the end of the sip. I like the tea, but wasn’t not wowing me. I decided to try this Terri-style, since I’ve heard that term several times today. LOL. I added about a teaspoon of maple syrup and there’s the wow! The tea smooths out and has a lightly sweet finish.

It tastes like something I’ve had before. Maybe something like a sweet bread or bun. The maple is obviously there, but it brings out a bakery note in the tea. Very interesting! I can see why the maple syrup is so popular with tea!

Update 7/13: tried again this AM and used 200 degree water. There’s a little less bitterness, but I’m still not finding those chocolate notes. Sometimes it’s just not meant to be!

MzPriss

Could that sweet candy be……….chocolate???? This is soooo chocolaty to me. Ad Terri-style is magic.

Sarsonator

Hmmm. If so, it was subtle. I have enough left for one more cup. I’ll be on the lookout for chocolate the next time I make this. :)

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Interesting…so many people taste different things with this…this is the first note I think that hasn’t mentioned chocolate, and someone mentioned spice the other day which I had never heard either. :) It’s neat how different people taste different things!

Sarsonator

How odd! I wonder what’s wrong with my taste buds!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Nothing’s wrong with them, they’re just different it seems! :)

Comments

MzPriss

Sarsonator

How odd! I wonder what’s wrong with my taste buds!

Whispering Pines Tea Company

Nothing’s wrong with them, they’re just different it seems! :)

I live in PA and I enjoy tea. I also make and drink both wine and beer. Someday I want to be completely self-sufficient.

I’m also a practical vegan. This means that I never eat meat, and do my very best to avoid products with animal ingredients, but I’m human and I not only make mistakes, but in some very occasional situations, I intentionally may consume something containing said ingredients. I make the best choice I can, when presented with all my options.

I like: Dr. Who, shengs, dark beer, dark teas, my three dogs, oolongs, springtime, barbecues, sunshine, industrial music, happy things, men with beards, science, and learning new things.

I dislike: politics, politicians, inequality, the Vegan Police, teas that are flavored with mint or melon, heavily cinnaBLARGH teas, and anti-intellectualism.

Rating Scale (Stolen from Cam B), effective 7/25/14: