drank Malted ChocoMaté by 52teas

A sample from Sil. When she first sent me this, I didn’t have any at all. Since then, I’ve somehow acquired two 2oz bags, and all without ever having tried it! I’m not 100% sure how that happened but never mind. Hopefully I’ll find I like it, and it won’t be a problem! I’ve only ever tried one mate tea before, and that was just plain old yerba mate bags from Teapigs. They weren’t my favourite things, but I didn’t hate them either. I just found them a bit…odd. Since then, I haven’t really sought out mate teas to try, and I haven’t really avoided them. I’ve heard a lot of things about this one, though, and I’m up for most things related to malted chocolate, so…

The dry leaves smell strongly of chocolate, and slightly coffee-like. There’s certainly something roasted about the smell, which, at this time of the morning, is really very appealing! Brewed, I can detect the mate slightly more clearly, but it’s mostly the deep, dark, chocolatey notes that are prevalent. To taste, this is much more palatable than I was expecting. I think the flavouring helps to make the mate less of an odd creature, or maybe it’s just that chocolate is old and familiar. Either way, for a first acquaintance I’m really enjoying this! It does taste something like maltesers, which is what I wanted from the Chocolate Malt Honeybush I tried a week or so ago. Mostly, though, I’m tasting chocolate, with a hint of coffee lurking somewhere in the background. I’m usually hopelessly tired when I get to work on a morning, and I actually feel like this is helping some. I think it might become my go-to morning drink from now on! I’ll definitely root out one of those bags when I get home and station it permanently in my desk drawer. A new tea love, just what I needed!