drank Smaug Tea by 52teas

Tried this for the first time on Saturday, so this is a bit of a backlog. I held off drinking this one for a while, possibly out of a kind of fear? I like cinnamon as a flavour, but I’ve had too many bas experiences with cinnamon tea blends for me to approach this with anything other than trepidation. I needn’t have, though.

This tea really is a little bit magic, isn’t it? Drinking it makes me think of the glowing embers from a fire (or from a dragon’s fiery breath, maybe), and the spice almost makes it seem like it might spark in my mouth. My brain was expecting a sensation a bit like popping candy, but, of course, I didn’t get that :P Not to worry, though, because it’s fabulous anyway. For a tea to be so evocative is a thing in itself, whether or not the sensations live up to it!

Whenever I’ve had cinnamon previously, it’s always been blended with other spices, like cloves and ginger. I’m not a fan of that kind of mixture — it just tastes like a museum apothacary I visited as a child smelt, and that’s not a good thing in my estimation. This tea doesn’t, though. The cinnamon is left to shine on its own, and it tastes just as it should, like its natural self. The cayenne pepper adds a wonderful spicy heat, and the two together make a pretty unique, special combination. There’s a very, very slight smokiness from the lapsang, but it’s really barely detectable. This is a good thing for me, as I’m not oven keen on smoked tea, but it’s there for a reason in this blend, and it adds just enough for me to be able to imagine I’m drinking something dragon-singed. The dragonwell base is smooth and not at all astringent. You have to admit that the name, if nothing else, made it absolutely perfect for this tea. It does a good job supporting the flavours, though, and doesn’t get in the way of the overall taste. I actually think it’s a better fit here than a black base would have been. It adds just a slight dankness that contributes perfectly to the overall effect.

I’m looking forward to trying a second cup of this. I do love it when a tea is more than just a drink, and becomes a sort of taste experience that makes you think about its name and origins, and how it was put together. It’s a rare tea that does that, but this is one of the good ones. Truly magical! Thank you, Frank, for creating such inspired blends!