This one’s interesting. It brews to a pale golden brown, even when left for four or so minutes. I can see things I like in the dry mix, though — cardamom, pepper, fennel seed. There’s not a lot of tea leaves as far as I can see — it’s mostly marigold petals. I’ve never had an oolong chai before, so it’s a first for me.

Despite my reservations, I like the taste. It’s very pale in colour, maybe a touch on the weak side, but I can taste the spices, and it’s got a certain creamy edge to it. There’s a hint of pepper, a lot of cardamom, something gingery, vanilla (hence the creaminess, I assume?). I can taste chocolate, but it’s not particularly strong. It just contributes a cocoa note in the aftertaste and a sweetness to the overall flavour, and reminds me of hot chocolate more than anything.The base tea contributes a vaguely grapey taste, with a slight raisin note. It’s sweet, and contrasts well with the other flavours — certainly unique!

Not my favourite chai, but interesting to have tried. Thanks to Queen of Tarts for the sample!

Bonnie

If you’ve not read the notes on this one, most people like it brewed a long time and then add honey like a traditional chai. I have some blends (not this one) that have suggested steep times of 9 minutes! I finally preferred steeping this in milk with honey for the grandkids.

Comments

Bonnie

Hi :) I’m Sarah, 25, and I live in Norwich in the UK. My tea obsession began when a friend introduced me to Teapigs a good few years ago now. Since then, I’ve been insatiable. Steepster introduced me to a world of tea I never knew existed, and my goal is now to TRY ALL THE TEAS. Or most of them, anyway.

My rating system:

91-100: The Holy Grail. Flawless teas I will never forget.

81-90: Outstanding. Pretty much perfection, and happiness in a cup.

71-80: Amazing. A tea to savour, and one I’ll keep coming back to.

61-70: Very good. The majority of things are as they should be. A pleasing cup.

51-60: Good. Not outstanding, but has merit.

31-40: Almost enjoyable, but something about it is not for me.

0-10: Ugh. No. Never again. To me, undrinkable.

Norwich, UK