I’m currently on my second cup of Lemon Meringue Chai this morning. The first I brewed as a latte, just with normal milk. I got lemon, and a wonderfully strong chai flavour, but nothing I’d really describe as meringue, and very little sweetness overall. For my second cup, I’ve added soya milk, and a teaspoon of honey. It’s better this way — I get a creaminess in the initial sip, then the lemon, then a strong hit of chai spices, and finally a sweetness from the honey. Taken together, the whole flavour does remind me of a lemon meringue, just about.

I would have liked this blend to have had more of its own built-in sweetness, as it were — maybe it needed a bit more marshmallow root? I don’t mind adding honey or sugar, but it’s always nice if the promised flavour is already there. Drinking this plain with just milk, I wasn’t really getting anything meringue like at all. It was just lemon chai. That’s fine, but I wanted the meringue. Badly. I do love this chai blend, though. As chai goes, it’s pretty spot on for me. I could maybe have done with a touch of pepper or chili, but that just reflects my personal taste. The assam base is pretty strong — I get the feeling it might be hiding a couple of the flavours a bit. Even so, I think I prefer that to a weak base, although it makes the addition of milk almost mandatory. Still, chai latte is fine with me.

I like this one. The flavour is there, subject to a few additions, and it’s a really enjoyable blend. Great stuff!

Hi :) I’m Sarah, 25, and I live in Norwich in the UK. My tea obsession began when a friend introduced me to Teapigs a good few years ago now. Since then, I’ve been insatiable. Steepster introduced me to a world of tea I never knew existed, and my goal is now to TRY ALL THE TEAS. Or most of them, anyway.

My rating system:

91-100: The Holy Grail. Flawless teas I will never forget.

81-90: Outstanding. Pretty much perfection, and happiness in a cup.

71-80: Amazing. A tea to savour, and one I’ll keep coming back to.

61-70: Very good. The majority of things are as they should be. A pleasing cup.

51-60: Good. Not outstanding, but has merit.

31-40: Almost enjoyable, but something about it is not for me.

0-10: Ugh. No. Never again. To me, undrinkable.

Norwich, UK