drank The Witching Hour by 52teas

First cup of this in a while. I’ve been keeping it in my desk drawer, but I’ve been avoiding it because it smells so weird. I think it’s just the tulsi, but I get enough comments about my tea anyway without parading the really odd ones. I’m on reception this afternoon, though, so there’s no-one to care but me. It’s also fairly seasonally appropriate, so I’m happy to be giving it another go.

I gave this four minutes in boiling water, and got the usual dark red-brown rooibos liquor. The tulsi is pretty noticable in the scent, but I’m also getting peppermint, so it’s not completely overwhelming. This is one of the few rooibos blends I’ve never tried adding milk to. Again, I think because it contains tulsi and mint, and my concept of milk and its uses just doesn’t fit with those ingredients. Maybe I’ll have to try it one day, though, just to assuage my curiosity on that point. Not to mention challenge my pre-conceptions.

The taste actually isn’t as strong as I remember it being. The peppermint is actually pretty prominent, and the rooibos/tulsi remain mostly in the background. I’m not really getting any chocolate, though. I’m not sure that I ever have with this one. It’s a shame, as I think that would add another dimension here, and it’s probably what I’m looking for after the peppermint wears off. I don’t think I’m going to have a problem finishing off my pouch this winter, as there’s only about half of it left now anyway. It’s never going to be my favourite rooibos, though — it’s just a bit too odd for that! It is more pleasant than I remember, though, so there’s something to be said for coming back to a tea after a bit of a hiatus, anyway!

JennyFur

See, I’m intrigued by this because of the name, but between the fact that its a Roobios (which in general smells like mulch to me) and its mint(definitly not my favorite flavor in life) I’m leary of it. Hmmm. Thats not to say I don’t like Roobios, I just have to smell it first and see if the mulch smell overwhelms me before I brew.

Comments

JennyFur

Hi :) I’m Sarah, 26, and I live in Norfolk in the UK. My tea obsession began when a friend introduced me to Teapigs a good few years ago now. Since then, I’ve been insatiable. Steepster introduced me to a world of tea I never knew existed, and my goal is now to TRY ALL THE TEAS. Or most of them, anyway.

My rating system:

91-100: The Holy Grail. Flawless teas I will never forget.

81-90: Outstanding. Pretty much perfection, and happiness in a cup.

71-80: Amazing. A tea to savour, and one I’ll keep coming back to.

61-70: Very good. The majority of things are as they should be. A pleasing cup.

51-60: Good. Not outstanding, but has merit.

31-40: Almost enjoyable, but something about it is not for me.

0-10: Ugh. No. Never again. To me, undrinkable.

Norfolk, UK