I think this is what I hoped 52 Teas Mayan Chocolate Chai would taste like. There’s a good, strong hit of chilli here, but the dark chocolate is its equal contender. The rest of the spices are just about there, but they stay very much in the background. The real stars here are the chilli and the chocolate, which is just fine with me.

The strength of the chilli here did take me by surprise initially. I took a big gulp of tea, and then had to gasp for breath a bit as the chilli caught me right at the back of the throat. I think I forgot what I was drinking for a second! So, this is very much a sipping tea. Very small sips, so that the chilli doesn’t become overwhelming. If you stick to that, you get a good, strong, smooth dark chocolate taste, and then the chilli just at the back of the mouth. It does burn a bit, but…it’s chilli! The rest of the spices seem to develop after the chilli heat has faded, so it’s an interesting tea to drink slowly and contemplate. If you don’t leave a few minutes between mouthfuls, I’m not sure you’d ever really get chai, but it is there if you’re patient.

An interesting tea, and one of the best chocolate-chilli teas I’ve yet tried! I know I’m going to enjoy this one over the winter months, and I imagine it’ll be particularly good when I catch my ubiquitous cold. There’s nothing wishy-washy about this one! Great stuff, Bluebird!

Hi :) I’m Sarah, 25, and I live in Norwich in the UK. My tea obsession began when a friend introduced me to Teapigs a good few years ago now. Since then, I’ve been insatiable. Steepster introduced me to a world of tea I never knew existed, and my goal is now to TRY ALL THE TEAS. Or most of them, anyway.

My rating system:

91-100: The Holy Grail. Flawless teas I will never forget.

81-90: Outstanding. Pretty much perfection, and happiness in a cup.

71-80: Amazing. A tea to savour, and one I’ll keep coming back to.

61-70: Very good. The majority of things are as they should be. A pleasing cup.

51-60: Good. Not outstanding, but has merit.

31-40: Almost enjoyable, but something about it is not for me.

0-10: Ugh. No. Never again. To me, undrinkable.

Norwich, UK