I took the opportunity to buy a bag of this in anticipation of winter when Bluebird had it in stock a little while back. I’m glad I did, because I don’t have very many rooibos chai blends in my stash at the moment. This is a really nice tea for a chilly afternoon. The dry leaf smells a little too perfumey, almost like a scented candle, but thankfully that doesn’t translate to the flavour of the tea.

Instead, this tastes just like freshly baked gingerbread. It doesn’t have the heat I was expecting, somehow, but the spicing is spot on. It’s sweet and very bakey tasting, with maybe just a hint of sugar. I don’t think it’s sweetened, but it’s a pretty good recreation of a gingerbread man, albeit in liquid form. Cinnamon and nutmeg as the dominant spices, as far as I can discern, so it’s not really a traditional chai. It’s really wonderful brewed as a latte, though, with an extra smattering of cinnamon dusted on the surface.

I did think twice about this, but I’m glad I picked a bag up. Hopefully it’ll assuage some of my biscuit cravings this winter! Lovely stuff.

Hi :) I’m Sarah, 25, and I live in Norwich in the UK. My tea obsession began when a friend introduced me to Teapigs a good few years ago now. Since then, I’ve been insatiable. Steepster introduced me to a world of tea I never knew existed, and my goal is now to TRY ALL THE TEAS. Or most of them, anyway.

My rating system:

91-100: The Holy Grail. Flawless teas I will never forget.

81-90: Outstanding. Pretty much perfection, and happiness in a cup.

71-80: Amazing. A tea to savour, and one I’ll keep coming back to.

61-70: Very good. The majority of things are as they should be. A pleasing cup.

51-60: Good. Not outstanding, but has merit.

31-40: Almost enjoyable, but something about it is not for me.

0-10: Ugh. No. Never again. To me, undrinkable.

Norwich, UK