On the sixth day of Christmas, 52 Teas gave to me…Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake Honeybush!

And that name is a mouthful indeed. Dry, the leaf actually smells mostly alcoholic, in a vaguely indefinable way. I assume it’s something to do with the production? I half remember reading some comments on here to that effect once. Anyway, this is a new one on me so I’m interested to try it!

Brewed, the scent is more as I expected – mostly nutty and chocolatey. It came out pretty light, so I left it without milk. Probably a good idea, as there’s a light oily film on the surface.

To taste, this is a slightly odd one. I can actually taste something of the alcohol I detected in the scent, although it’s not strong. I can also taste something that’s almost peanut butter, a touch of chocolate, and maybe a hint of cream cheese/cheesecake. Possibly I just need to let this one air a little, and try it again when I don’t have a cold. I think I’m going to like it, but I do want the flavours to be a little more defined. I do like the base here, and I think it will fit well with the flavours once I’ve given the whole thing time to settle a bit.

Lala

Frank uses alcohol in his blends, as it evaporates, it carries the flavouring through the tea. I find a lot of the 52 teas have an alcohol smell while dry but it goes away pretty quick, and there is no alcohol taste in the brewed tea. He has said on another thread if you leave the tea open for a night, the alcohol smell with go away.

Comments

Lala

Hi :) I’m Sarah, 25, and I live in Norwich in the UK. My tea obsession began when a friend introduced me to Teapigs a good few years ago now. Since then, I’ve been insatiable. Steepster introduced me to a world of tea I never knew existed, and my goal is now to TRY ALL THE TEAS. Or most of them, anyway.

My rating system:

91-100: The Holy Grail. Flawless teas I will never forget.

81-90: Outstanding. Pretty much perfection, and happiness in a cup.

71-80: Amazing. A tea to savour, and one I’ll keep coming back to.

61-70: Very good. The majority of things are as they should be. A pleasing cup.

51-60: Good. Not outstanding, but has merit.

31-40: Almost enjoyable, but something about it is not for me.

0-10: Ugh. No. Never again. To me, undrinkable.

Norwich, UK