First tea of the new year! I requested this as a sample with my last Bluebird order, and they were kind enough to oblige. I was a little scared of it — an oolong/pu’erh blend isn’t exactly something that makes my heart sing. I’m all for challenging my preconceptions, though, so I gave it a go this morning. After the new year festivities, it’s a pretty ideal choice!

I brewed this fairly conservatively — 2.5 minutes at the recommended temparature (80/175). It’s actually much more palatable than I feared. The first flavour I can taste is ginger, then a hint of orange, with aniseed coming in last. The base teas don’t really distinguish themselves. There’s a hint of earthiness in the aftertaste, but it’s nothing especially bothersome. I actually think this would make a pleasant stomach calming tea after an illness, a heavy meal or a lot of drinking. It’s a cleansing, clean taste, and it feels like you might be doing yourself some good drinking it. To my surprise, this is one I will consider repurchasing with a future order — how’s that for a 2014 start?

Hi :) I’m Sarah, 25, and I live in Norwich in the UK. My tea obsession began when a friend introduced me to Teapigs a good few years ago now. Since then, I’ve been insatiable. Steepster introduced me to a world of tea I never knew existed, and my goal is now to TRY ALL THE TEAS. Or most of them, anyway.

My rating system:

91-100: The Holy Grail. Flawless teas I will never forget.

81-90: Outstanding. Pretty much perfection, and happiness in a cup.

71-80: Amazing. A tea to savour, and one I’ll keep coming back to.

61-70: Very good. The majority of things are as they should be. A pleasing cup.

51-60: Good. Not outstanding, but has merit.

31-40: Almost enjoyable, but something about it is not for me.

0-10: Ugh. No. Never again. To me, undrinkable.

Norwich, UK