drank Kaga Bocha by Lupicia

Second tea from the sample pack. This time it is Kaga Bocha.

The first thing I noticed when I opened the package was the light brown/green colour. This is an excellent sign of a decent houjicha. Usually many people would roast bancha, kukicha or sencha too much and then the tea would often have more of a scorced, and sometimes bad, taste to it. (Do not get me wrong , I do like some more roasty houjichas as well.)

A good houjicha is usually more green than brown, so this might have been just slightly overdone but seemed promising nonetheless. (The leaves I tend to see here are dark brown) Since the tea consists of only stems, I assume it has been made from kukicha.

Certainly, the tea was much less strong and roasty than other houjichas I have tasted and the taste itself was much richer. There was also a slight natural sweetness attached to it as well, that made the beverage much more enjoyable. I love it, actually.

I think I might just buy more of this tea to enjoy during the now more colder winter days in Japan. Not that I should complain though. As I am writing this, it is about -18 degrees Celsius at the place I usually live in Norway, compared to 1 degree Celsius here in Japan.

Better make another cup!

Tea grew to be one of my major hobbies for about two years ago, and I have been able to taste a lot of different brands. Unfortunately, most of the local stores I use and the ones I encountered while in Japan, are not registered here yet, but I will do my best to register them – in time.

As I once again will be having the honour of staying in Japan for about one year from September 2010, I would like to keep track of the teas I discover, the names, taste and so on.

Norway