drank Zhejiang Lung Ching by Adagio

I’m not sure whether I should be posting this note under Adagio or Zhejiang. I purchased it from Adagio as a part of the Master’s collection containing three different teas in two formats (so six tins), but it clearly came from Zhejiang. Maybe I’ll post it there, since others have written there…

On second thought, there is only one note there, and the packaging is completely different, so here goes. The version I prepared today is in the sachet. The leaves are wholly in tact and in serious abundance. Honestly, they appear to have packed this sachet to capacity, because upon infusion it was completely stuffed—like a plump green pillow! In fact, I worried a bit that the leaves might be stifled in this configuration, trapped like sardines in a can, unable to swim freely and actualize their full potential.

The brew of the first infusion was a light yellow color, a bit more golden than green, and the flavor was veering toward sencha. The scent, too, reminded me a bit of some senchas. This tea, however, is even cleaner and less vegetal. Very smooth and likeable, but not as good as the Lung Ching from Teavivre… I’ll try the loose leaf format and see whether my theory about leaf oppression has any basis in reality.

second infusion: with so many leaves crammed into the sachet, I felt that a follow-up infusion was obligatory, though I actually used the sachet because I was in a hurry and planning not to prepare and drink two cups before leaving.

The three-minute brew was weak with only very faint flavor, so I threw the bag back into the glass and pretty much forgot about it for a few minutes. Then the liquor was darker and more brown, and the flavor was more like hoji-cha than sencha. I’ll try again!

TheTeaFairy

Haha! When I brew Western style, i’m not a mandatory second steep type of person, but I feel somewhat guilty if the leaves are still waiting to expand. That’s why I almost never brew Oolongs this way! I don’t feel as bad for green teas, cause I don’t always love the second steep.

sherapop

Hi TeaFairy! I think that I’m going to switch over mainly to loose tea, because, well, why not? I have these nice tetusbin cast iron tea pots, and now that I’ve read all of these scary warnings about the plastic used in producing the sachets, I have even more motivation for going that way!

Comments

TheTeaFairy

sherapop

A long-time tea and perfume lover, I have recently begun to explore the intersections between the two at my blog: http://salondeparfum-sherapop.blogspot.com//

I participate at fragrance community websites, and I care about tea as much as perfume, so why not belong to Steepster as well?

A few words about my ratings. In assessing both teas and perfumes, my evaluation is “all things considered.” Teas do not differ very much in price (relative to perfumes or any luxury items), so I do not usually consider the price when rating a tea.

What I do consider is how the particular tea compares to teas of its own type. So I might give a high rating to a fine herbal infusion even though I would never say that it is my favorite TEA. But if it’s good for what it is, then it deserves a high rating. There is no point in wishing that a chamomile blend was an Assam or a sencha tea!

Any rating below 50 means that I find the liquid less desirable to drink than plain water. I may or may not finish the cup, depending upon how thirsty I am and whether there is another hot beverage or (in summertime) a source of fresh water available.

From 50 to 60 indicates that, while potable, the tea is not one which I would buy or repurchase, if I already made the mistake (I have learned) of purchasing it.

From 60 to 70 means that the tea is drinkable but I have criticisms of some sort, and I probably would not purchase or repurchase the tea as I can think of obvious alternatives which would be better.

From 70 to 80 is a solid brew which I would purchase again.

From 80 to 90 is good stuff, and I probably need to have some ready at hand in my humble abode.

From 90 to 100 is a tea (or infusion) which I have come to depend on and look forward to imbibing again and again—if possible!

If you are interested in perfume, you might like my 2300+ perfume reviews, most of which have been archived at sherapop’s sillage (essentially my perfumelog):

Somerville, Massachusetts, USA