drank Earl Grey by Tea Forte

Whoops: perhaps I really am comparing bergamot with oranges, because it turns out that the Tea Forte Earl Grey filter bag contains orange zest, which the Tazo Earl Grey filter bag lacks!

But does it help? Does the orange improve the flavor? Honestly, the Tea Forte version smells much more like tea (ceylon, I’d guess) than either bergamot or orange! The brew is less strong (in part no doubt due to the smaller amount of tea in the filter bag), less red, and generally less appealing. It does taste pretty good for a grocery store bag tea (faint praise…), but I prefer the Tazo.

I drank both of these brews with light cream, and the Tazo is much creamier and smoother than the Tea Forte. This Earl Grey seems to be geared more for people who dislike bergamot, given that the dried filter bag does not smell like perfume but like tea. My question: do people who dislike bergamot buy Earl Grey tea???

I stand by my earlier evaluation. The Tea Forte Earl Grey is potable, but I will not be purchasing it again.

Update: 28 September 2014.

On the above date, I officially went on strike and stopped posting tasting notes at Steepster, having endured more than two months of this site’s complete and utter dysfunctionality.

Today is November 1, 2014. I write now to announce that I’ll be launching my new blog, sherapop’s tea leaves, in the not too distant future…

A long-time tea and perfume lover, I have recently begun to explore the intersections between the two at my blog: http://salondeparfum-sherapop.blogspot.com//

I participate at fragrance community websites, and I care about tea as much as perfume, so why not belong to Steepster as well?

A few words about my ratings. In assessing both teas and perfumes, my evaluation is “all things considered.” Teas do not differ very much in price (relative to perfumes or any luxury items), so I do not usually consider the price when rating a tea.

What I do consider is how the particular tea compares to teas of its own type. So I might give a high rating to a fine herbal infusion even though I would never say that it is my favorite TEA. But if it’s good for what it is, then it deserves a high rating. There is no point in wishing that a chamomile blend was an Assam or a sencha tea!

Any rating below 50 means that I find the liquid less desirable to drink than plain water. I may or may not finish the cup, depending upon how thirsty I am and whether there is another hot beverage or (in summertime) a source of fresh water available.

From 50 to 60 indicates that, while potable, the tea is not one which I would buy or repurchase, if I already made the mistake (I have learned) of purchasing it.

From 60 to 70 means that the tea is drinkable but I have criticisms of some sort, and I probably would not purchase or repurchase the tea as I can think of obvious alternatives which would be better.

From 70 to 80 is a solid brew which I would purchase again.

From 80 to 90 is good stuff, and I probably need to have some ready at hand in my humble abode.

From 90 to 100 is a tea (or infusion) which I have come to depend on and look forward to imbibing again and again—if possible!

If you are interested in perfume, you might like my 2300+ perfume reviews, most of which have been archived at sherapop’s sillage (essentially my perfumelog):

Somerville, Massachusetts, USA