I found a box of this in my grocery store tea stash, which I haven’t looked at in quite a while. Fortunately, this batch of Tension Tamer tastes just fine, despite being rather old. I’m trying this remedy as an alternative to Tazo Rest, which I should be running out of soon.

Unlike Rest, Tension Tamer does not contain valerian but eleuthero. The licorice gives it a sweet flavor, and I’m happy about the inclusion of catnip, though I cannot claim to taste it in the brew. After two cups of this “functional” tea, I expect (hope) to sleep well!

Flavors: Flowers, Licorice

Boiling 8 min or more
carol who

I’m glad see some more people admitting that they occasionally drink teabags/grocery store teas. So often the teas reviewed are the really cool teas we all love best, etc. I’m on a buying hiatus so I’m just occasionally sneaking in tea from the grocery store. I’ve found some good teas that I enjoy. I wouldn’t give any of them 100’s but they are not all bad. For me, I think the difference is that I know more about temp and time. I can’t help but think of all the teas I murdered and then blamed the tea. :)

Hello.Kiki

Catnip eh? I actually just saw an instagram post where this lady’s cat would NOT leave her tea alone! lo and behold it had catnip in it- no wonder! lol

boychik

CS herbal stuff is pretty good. But I wouldn’t drink any green or black tea. I don’t want to sound as tea snob. Twinings EG is good too. Btw my kids love Sleepy Time and Tension Tamer;)

sherapop

carol who: there are plenty of decent grocery store teas, and I went to school in Boulder, so I naturally have a soft spot for Celestial Seasonings! ;-) You are also right that the fault often lies with the brewer, not the brew! How many times have I mangled what might have been a fine cup of tea? (Too numerous to count…)

sherapop

boychik: the only non-herbal varieties I’ve tried from Celestial Seasoning are the chai blends, which are pretty good, and the white tea blends, which are okay too. I don’t drink their black tea. Morning Thunder was especially horrible because it induced major anxiety in me…

sherapop

kiki: I wish that my beloved HRH Emperor Oliver were still around so I could use him to confirm the presence of catnip in this blend!

Comments

carol who

Hello.Kiki

boychik

sherapop

Update: 28 September 2014.

I am officially going on strike. You have lost another contributor, Steepster. Two months is too long to endure total site dysfunctionality. I’ll be writing about tea-related matters at a new blog, sherapop’s tea leaves, from here on out. I cannot waste any more time here.

Désolée.
-——————————————-

A long-time tea and perfume lover, I have recently begun to explore the intersections between the two at my blog: http://salondeparfum-sherapop.blogspot.com//

I participate at fragrance community websites, and I care about tea as much as perfume, so why not belong to Steepster as well?

A few words about my ratings. In assessing both teas and perfumes, my evaluation is “all things considered.” Teas do not differ very much in price (relative to perfumes or any luxury items), so I do not usually consider the price when rating a tea.

What I do consider is how the particular tea compares to teas of its own type. So I might give a high rating to a fine herbal infusion even though I would never say that it is my favorite TEA. But if it’s good for what it is, then it deserves a high rating. There is no point in wishing that a chamomile blend was an Assam or a sencha tea!

Any rating below 50 means that I find the liquid less desirable to drink than plain water. I may or may not finish the cup, depending upon how thirsty I am and whether there is another hot beverage or (in summertime) a source of fresh water available.

From 50 to 60 indicates that, while potable, the tea is not one which I would buy or repurchase, if I already made the mistake (I have learned) of purchasing it.

From 60 to 70 means that the tea is drinkable but I have criticisms of some sort, and I probably would not purchase or repurchase the tea as I can think of obvious alternatives which would be better.

From 70 to 80 is a solid brew which I would purchase again.

From 80 to 90 is good stuff, and I probably need to have some ready at hand in my humble abode.

From 90 to 100 is a tea (or infusion) which I have come to depend on and look forward to imbibing again and again—if possible!

If you are interested in perfume, you might like my 2300+ perfume reviews, most of which have been archived at sherapop’s sillage (essentially my perfumelog):

Somerville, Massachusetts, USA