Which self-proclaimed Imperial Earl Grey sachet reigns supreme? That is the question which sherapop set out to answer into today’s steep-off between Wissotzky Signature Collection Imperial Earl Grey and Harney & Sons Historic Royal Palaces Earl Grey Imperial.

The Wissotzky is good. The Harney & Sons is good. The scent of the dried sachets remind me in both cases of men’s cologne! So, yes, there’s a lot of bergamot going on here. (FYI: bergamot is a component of 33% of all perfumes!). In terms of appearance, the colorful cornflowers add a bit of visual interest to the Wissotzky sachet, but the tea leaves are quite a bit more broken up than those in the Harney & Sons sachet.

In terms of black tea base, Wissotzky features a blend of Ceylon teas, while Harney & Sons features a blend of China and Indian teas. The color of the two liquors is virtually indistinguishable: dark amber. With light cream, the two appear nearly identical: caramel-colored lusciousness. The scent of the two brews is very similar as well.

As is the taste!

205 °F / 96 °C 5 min, 15 sec 2 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

A long-time tea and perfume lover, I have recently begun to explore the intersections between the two at my blog: http://salondeparfum-sherapop.blogspot.com//

I participate at fragrance community websites, and I care about tea as much as perfume, so why not belong to Steepster as well?

A few words about my ratings. In assessing both teas and perfumes, my evaluation is “all things considered.” Teas do not differ very much in price (relative to perfumes or any luxury items), so I do not usually consider the price when rating a tea.

What I do consider is how the particular tea compares to teas of its own type. So I might give a high rating to a fine herbal infusion even though I would never say that it is my favorite TEA. But if it’s good for what it is, then it deserves a high rating. There is no point in wishing that a chamomile blend was an Assam or a sencha tea!

Any rating below 50 means that I find the liquid less desirable to drink than plain water. I may or may not finish the cup, depending upon how thirsty I am and whether there is another hot beverage or (in summertime) a source of fresh water available.

From 50 to 60 indicates that, while potable, the tea is not one which I would buy or repurchase, if I already made the mistake (I have learned) of purchasing it.

From 60 to 70 means that the tea is drinkable but I have criticisms of some sort, and I probably would not purchase or repurchase the tea as I can think of obvious alternatives which would be better.

From 70 to 80 is a solid brew which I would purchase again.

From 80 to 90 is good stuff, and I probably need to have some ready at hand in my humble abode.

From 90 to 100 is a tea (or infusion) which I have come to depend on and look forward to imbibing again and again—if possible!

If you are interested in perfume, you might like my 2300+ perfume reviews, most of which have been archived at sherapop’s sillage (essentially my perfumelog):

Somerville, Massachusetts, USA