drank Organic Green Tea by Clipper

The first time I brewed up a filter bag of Clipper Organic Green tea, I was reminded immediately of Tazo Chun Mee. I sent an email to Clipper inquiring whether their blend was also Chun Mee. They wrote back indicating that their tea is sourced from South India and Hunan Province in China. No details about the identity of the teas blended, so it probably depends on what’s available, price, etc. But the blend is certified organic and free trade.

In today’s steep-off chez sherapop Clipper Organic Green is going sniff-to-sniff, sip-to-sip with Tazo Chun Mee.

First observation: the dried teas smell very similar. In fact, in a blind sniff, I probably could not tell them apart—say if I were offered two Tazo versus one of each or two Clipper.

Second observation: the brewed liquor looks identical as well: dark gold veering brown. I was very careful not to oversteep, and I used cooler water, so these teas have been brewed to maximize whatever potential may be held within the bags.

Third observation: they taste almost identical as well! In fact, I’m having a very difficult time telling them apart. They could actually be the same tea! Well, the Clipper is a tiny bit grassier… and a bit less smooth…

A long-time tea and perfume lover, I have recently begun to explore the intersections between the two at my blog: http://salondeparfum-sherapop.blogspot.com//

I participate at fragrance community websites, and I care about tea as much as perfume, so why not belong to Steepster as well?

A few words about my ratings. In assessing both teas and perfumes, my evaluation is “all things considered.” Teas do not differ very much in price (relative to perfumes or any luxury items), so I do not usually consider the price when rating a tea.

What I do consider is how the particular tea compares to teas of its own type. So I might give a high rating to a fine herbal infusion even though I would never say that it is my favorite TEA. But if it’s good for what it is, then it deserves a high rating. There is no point in wishing that a chamomile blend was an Assam or a sencha tea!

Any rating below 50 means that I find the liquid less desirable to drink than plain water. I may or may not finish the cup, depending upon how thirsty I am and whether there is another hot beverage or (in summertime) a source of fresh water available.

From 50 to 60 indicates that, while potable, the tea is not one which I would buy or repurchase, if I already made the mistake (I have learned) of purchasing it.

From 60 to 70 means that the tea is drinkable but I have criticisms of some sort, and I probably would not purchase or repurchase the tea as I can think of obvious alternatives which would be better.

From 70 to 80 is a solid brew which I would purchase again.

From 80 to 90 is good stuff, and I probably need to have some ready at hand in my humble abode.

From 90 to 100 is a tea (or infusion) which I have come to depend on and look forward to imbibing again and again—if possible!

If you are interested in perfume, you might like my 2300+ perfume reviews, most of which have been archived at sherapop’s sillage (essentially my perfumelog):

Somerville, Massachusetts, USA