drank Spicy Chocolate by Kusmi Tea

This blend from Kusmi is more about spices—above all, clove, at least to my palate and nose— than chocolate. In fact, it veers near Constant Comment territory, so strong is the spiciness! The scent of the dried tea is high redolent of chocolate, so I have to confess that I was a bit disappointed with the final brew, which I prepared super-strong, as I prefer my flavored black teas with cream.

The liquor is dark red, and the nerve-impinging clove (though I do own that I am quite sensitive to that note—both in consumables and in perfume), made this a less than fantastic tea experience for me. It was not bad, but it was not the chocolate dream I was looking forward to on this drizzly “we have no spring in Boston” day.

I have a lot more of this tea on hand, so I’ll probably experiment with some mixtures. Perhaps I need to combine this one half and half with the Kusmi straight chocolate-scented tea?

Flavors: Cloves

Boiling 5 min, 15 sec 3 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML
Dexter

I would definitely experiment with adding it to just chocolate scented tea. Depending on how strong the spice was and how strong you would prefer it. I agree with starting half and half, then adjust to your tastes. Good luck. :))

sherapop

Thanks, Dexter3657! I am very sensitive to clove, so I need to make adjustments accordingly…

Comments

Dexter

sherapop

A long-time tea and perfume lover, I have recently begun to explore the intersections between the two at my blog: http://salondeparfum-sherapop.blogspot.com//

I participate at fragrance community websites, and I care about tea as much as perfume, so why not belong to Steepster as well?

A few words about my ratings. In assessing both teas and perfumes, my evaluation is “all things considered.” Teas do not differ very much in price (relative to perfumes or any luxury items), so I do not usually consider the price when rating a tea.

What I do consider is how the particular tea compares to teas of its own type. So I might give a high rating to a fine herbal infusion even though I would never say that it is my favorite TEA. But if it’s good for what it is, then it deserves a high rating. There is no point in wishing that a chamomile blend was an Assam or a sencha tea!

Any rating below 50 means that I find the liquid less desirable to drink than plain water. I may or may not finish the cup, depending upon how thirsty I am and whether there is another hot beverage or (in summertime) a source of fresh water available.

From 50 to 60 indicates that, while potable, the tea is not one which I would buy or repurchase, if I already made the mistake (I have learned) of purchasing it.

From 60 to 70 means that the tea is drinkable but I have criticisms of some sort, and I probably would not purchase or repurchase the tea as I can think of obvious alternatives which would be better.

From 70 to 80 is a solid brew which I would purchase again.

From 80 to 90 is good stuff, and I probably need to have some ready at hand in my humble abode.

From 90 to 100 is a tea (or infusion) which I have come to depend on and look forward to imbibing again and again—if possible!

If you are interested in perfume, you might like my 2300+ perfume reviews, most of which have been archived at sherapop’s sillage (essentially my perfumelog):

Somerville, Massachusetts, USA