I was looking forward to my first experience of the Teavivre Lu Shan Yun Wu, my second encounter with this particular China green tea. The crispy, wiry leaves are a beautiful tealish-dark slate color, and to my surprise, they smell like a fresh-baked pastry!

I brewed up a large pot, and the first glass was delicious. I drank it alongside toasted English muffins slathered with butter. A very harmonious pairing!

Unfortunately, I discovered upon pouring the next glass that I had not properly prepared my new tetsubin (just arrived today). I had run a bunch of hot water through it, followed by boiling water, but I did not follow the instructions and wipe it dry. As a result, after the first glass the tea still in the pot began leeching off the residual black enamel, turning the liquor a somewhat scary brownish gray color. Naturally I dumped the rest of this pot. However, since I used the deep infuser basket, this afternoon I am going to try a second infusion of the already infused leaves, which smell very fragrant and full of potential..

If that doesn’t work, I am relieved that Angel graced me with a second generous sample of this tea, so I’ll be able to brew up a large pot again in the not-too-distant future.

A propos of tetsubin: I have several, in various sizes. I realize that some people complain about the “made in China” variety, but I have not noticed a huge difference in quality between the Unity teapots (distributed by Old Dutch), and the ones made in Japan. The Unity tetsubin are FDA certified lead free, so I am assuming that even if I drank some of the black enamel coating today, it did not poison me. Well, let’s hope not!

No rating yet… but the first glass of this Lu Shan Yun Wu from Teavivre was excellent!

second infusion: This worked fine with a resultant brighter yellow liquor and full flavor. I poured all of the glasses out of the tetsubin just to make sure that the same problem would not occur. So now my new tetsubin appears finally to be clean and I’ll be able to enjoy the first infusion of this tea again in the not-too-distant future….

Flavors: Butter

A long-time tea and perfume lover, I have recently begun to explore the intersections between the two at my blog: http://salondeparfum-sherapop.blogspot.com//

I participate at fragrance community websites, and I care about tea as much as perfume, so why not belong to Steepster as well?

A few words about my ratings. In assessing both teas and perfumes, my evaluation is “all things considered.” Teas do not differ very much in price (relative to perfumes or any luxury items), so I do not usually consider the price when rating a tea.

What I do consider is how the particular tea compares to teas of its own type. So I might give a high rating to a fine herbal infusion even though I would never say that it is my favorite TEA. But if it’s good for what it is, then it deserves a high rating. There is no point in wishing that a chamomile blend was an Assam or a sencha tea!

Any rating below 50 means that I find the liquid less desirable to drink than plain water. I may or may not finish the cup, depending upon how thirsty I am and whether there is another hot beverage or (in summertime) a source of fresh water available.

From 50 to 60 indicates that, while potable, the tea is not one which I would buy or repurchase, if I already made the mistake (I have learned) of purchasing it.

From 60 to 70 means that the tea is drinkable but I have criticisms of some sort, and I probably would not purchase or repurchase the tea as I can think of obvious alternatives which would be better.

From 70 to 80 is a solid brew which I would purchase again.

From 80 to 90 is good stuff, and I probably need to have some ready at hand in my humble abode.

From 90 to 100 is a tea (or infusion) which I have come to depend on and look forward to imbibing again and again—if possible!

If you are interested in perfume, you might like my 2300+ perfume reviews, most of which have been archived at sherapop’s sillage (essentially my perfumelog):

Somerville, Massachusetts, USA