A filter bag sample of Republic of Tea Caramel Vanilla arrived along with a catalog in the mail. I brewed it up today out of curiosity, though I wasn’t very optimistic.

The filter bag is extremely heavily scented—to the point of being cloying, I’d say. But of course that is the point of these flavored blends, it appears: to serve as a dessert surrogate.

The tea brewed up golden brown and tastes rather sweet. I added cream because caramel and cream are natural partners!

Overall, I was not impressed with “Cuppa Cake” Caramel Vanilla, and ended up not finishing my glass. It’s too sweet, and despite the all-natural ingredients list, it tastes somewhat artificial to me. The tea itself seems something like an afterthought—could be just about anything swept off the floor.

(Blazing New Rating #33)

Flavors: Caramel, Vanilla

205 °F / 96 °C 5 min, 0 sec 2 g 9 OZ / 266 ML
Rosehips

I wasnt impressed either. Not what I hoped for!

sherapop

Rosehips, I love caramel, but this blend is not appetizing to me!

Rosehips

Same here! Such a bummer, when a tea does not live up to its potential.

Comments

Rosehips

I wasnt impressed either. Not what I hoped for!

sherapop

Rosehips, I love caramel, but this blend is not appetizing to me!

Rosehips

Same here! Such a bummer, when a tea does not live up to its potential.

A long-time tea and perfume lover, I have recently begun to explore the intersections between the two at my blog: http://salondeparfum-sherapop.blogspot.com//

I participate at fragrance community websites, and I care about tea as much as perfume, so why not belong to Steepster as well?

A few words about my ratings. In assessing both teas and perfumes, my evaluation is “all things considered.” Teas do not differ very much in price (relative to perfumes or any luxury items), so I do not usually consider the price when rating a tea.

What I do consider is how the particular tea compares to teas of its own type. So I might give a high rating to a fine herbal infusion even though I would never say that it is my favorite TEA. But if it’s good for what it is, then it deserves a high rating. There is no point in wishing that a chamomile blend was an Assam or a sencha tea!

Any rating below 50 means that I find the liquid less desirable to drink than plain water. I may or may not finish the cup, depending upon how thirsty I am and whether there is another hot beverage or (in summertime) a source of fresh water available.

From 50 to 60 indicates that, while potable, the tea is not one which I would buy or repurchase, if I already made the mistake (I have learned) of purchasing it.

From 60 to 70 means that the tea is drinkable but I have criticisms of some sort, and I probably would not purchase or repurchase the tea as I can think of obvious alternatives which would be better.

From 70 to 80 is a solid brew which I would purchase again.

From 80 to 90 is good stuff, and I probably need to have some ready at hand in my humble abode.

From 90 to 100 is a tea (or infusion) which I have come to depend on and look forward to imbibing again and again—if possible!

If you are interested in perfume, you might like my 2300+ perfume reviews, most of which have been archived at sherapop’s sillage (essentially my perfumelog):

Somerville, Massachusetts, USA