drank Laoshan Black by Verdant Tea

ooooh yeah baby! Time to have this one again since it’s been a while. I needed a nice wonderful black cup of goodness this morning so this is what i reached for. Sadly other steepsings of it will need to wait until i get some. Work just isn’t condusive for doing that. Anyway, there is a reason i picked up 4? ounces of this on my last order. it’s is wonderful! i love the malty chocolatey goodness that is this tea and the subtlties that come out as later steeps happen. mmmmmmmm!

Donna A

Curious how you prefer to steep this. I keep experimenting with it. Do you do it Western or Gong fu? Would appreciate details. Thanks.

Donna – I’m a western kinda brew person. Mostly because i haven’t had a chance to find a gaiwan i love. It’s also more difficult for me to manage brewing things gong fu style unless i’m at home.

Bonnie

Donna, another opinion from someone who has had this a long time…I usually drink a pot, western style…or in a rush I use my finum infuser. I mix it into the newest alchemy blend too (Ginger Sage Winter Spa Blend).

Uniquity

I get totally different flavours from it depending on which method I take. I think of it as a very special tea that I like to savour in a gong-fu session but I rarely have the time so I occasionally do it Western style. I recommend trying both and having whichever you want whenever you want it! : )

Donna A

Thanks for your perspectives. Western 1 T/cup for 3 min. is slightly bitter for me. I use a make shift Gaiwan-it’s a 5 oz china creamer with a lid and a handle. Works really well so I don’t burn my hand. I may prefer this tea gong fu, but it is more time consuming. I’m going to try Western again, but with less tea, slightly lower temp, and maybe a 2 min. steep.

that sounds like a plan donna. I think that’s similar to what i do. I know i don’t use a tablespoon of tea when i brew it western.

Donna A

Sil, the only reason I used 1 T is that is what the Verdant website suggested for Western. It’s a bit much for my taste. With Western, for most black teas, I use 1 tsp, but sometimes 2 tsp with a Chinese black.

Uniquity

I use a teaspoon as well, typically for me 12 ounce Perfect Tea Mug. Works for me with a three minute steep in those proportions. :)

Donna – yeah I took one look at the tablespoon recommendation and went uh….I don’t think so! :) usually it’s about 1.5 for me for the 8oz mug

Donna A

Thanks Uniquity and Sil. I’m going to try those suggestions. Sometimes a little tweaking can make all the difference. I usually start with what the tea company recommends, and if that doesn’t do it for me, then I start trying other temps, quantities and times.

Comments

Donna A

Bonnie