drank Hong Tao by Harney & Sons

Tea of the morning…..

We are finally into the first full week of school. It has taken quite an effort to get here. There were lots of meetings, shopping for supplies, and just more to do than we had been doing in our leisurely Summer. Oh, and band. Band seems innocuous, unless you are the uniform Mom. I am feeling like I kind of have time for some catching up.

As I look back over the Summer, I realized I did not drink near the amount of Earl Grey that I usually consume. My tea consumption has mostly gone over to China black teas and black tea blends. There has been almost no consumption of flavored tea other than Earl Grey, Rose, and Lychee. My favorite jasmine black tea has kind of lost its flavor. PSA: Drink the delicate flavored teas quickly! I do have another sealed pouch of it. We shall see if that made a difference.

This is the only Keemun I have in my cupboard right now as I drank all of the others. This one can handle being the only. It is roasty, cocoa noted, slightly malty, with a very, very light hint of smoke. It feels heavy in the mouth. It is a wonderful, extremely enjoyable example of a Keemun, and it looks like it is sold out online. That is a shame. I stocked up, though, and have a few more tins to go!

Usual teapot method.

My motto: Drink the good tea!

Tea enthusiast, trying to keep up my cardio for the zombie apocalypse. I have come to accept that I am a western brewing black tea drinker as that is where my ‘tea heart’ lies. I started on loose leaf as a way to have my dessert and not suffer the caloric issues. Once I tried it, I was hooked.

I drink what I like, which is mostly China blacks, a few traditionally scented blacks and Earl Greys, plus a flavored tea here and there. I don’t mind spending a bit on premium varieties on occasion, but an expensive tea has to deliver. My favorite places to order are Harney & Sons and Upton Tea Imports. TeaVivre is great for Chinese tea.

My ratings are pretty subjective. If it falls under 70, I may not take the time to post about it unless I had something specific to say. If it is 70-80 I like it, but I will probably not rebuy. Favorites are over 80 and up, but sometimes the less expensive or more easily obtainable version of a similar taste will win out for my cupboard space.

Usual teapot steeping method: 24 oz teapot, 3 perfect scoops of tea (4 1/2 actual tsp), freshly boiled water, 4 minutes. Lightly sweetened.

Usual mug steeping method: 15 oz mug, 1.5 perfect scoops of tea (just over 2 actual tsp), freshly boiled water, 4 minutes. Lightly sweetened.

Usual pan method: 1 1/2 cups water, 2 perfect tsp chai (3 actual tsp). Simmer for 3 minutes. Add 2/3 cup skim milk. Simmer for 2 more minutes. Strain and sweeten.

Usual pitcher method:
5 or 6 Perfect Spoons of tea (this means about 7-9 actual tsp), freshly boiled water, brewed essentially double-strong in my 24 oz teapot for 4 minutes. Fill my Fiestaware Disc pitcher (about 60 oz.) halfway with ice. Add brewed double-strong tea to the pitcher. Stir it a little and enjoy. No additions.

(*SRP is my Sample/Stash Reduction Plan starting on April 12, 2012. I got so far, but just decided it was too fussy to keep track.)

Ohio