drank Vanilla Oolong by Adagio Teas

Cold brewed, this makes an awesome iced tea! Who knew?

5 tsp. cold brewed overnight in about 40 oz. water. (I have a brew basket with a lid that closes from my Trudeau Tea-mendous Travel Mug…it is perfect for overnight brewing!) The resulting brew has a light bite at first, but then a smooth vanilla finish. I must say I am totally pleased with this!

Iced 8 min or more
ashmanra

Only 5 tsp? I am new to cold brewing but everything I have read says to double or triple your leaves for iced tea. I don’t add ice to mycold brew tea since it is already cold, so I was just doing double leaves. If using less will still give me good flavor, that sure would save some leaf!

SimplyJenW

I heard one and a half times the leaves, so it might be worth trying less. I think I would traditionally brew black tea, but for tea I am trying to use up, I would probably try it cold brewed as an experiment. This worked for me since I don’t mind light flavor for my iced tea. I probably could have added more…..

Comments

ashmanra

SimplyJenW

Tea enthusiast, trying to keep up my cardio for the zombie apocalypse. I have come to accept that I am a western brewing black tea drinker as that is where my ‘tea heart’ lies. I started on loose leaf as a way to have my dessert and not suffer the caloric issues. Once I tried it, I was hooked.

I drink what I like, which is mostly China blacks, a few traditionally scented blacks and Earl Greys, plus a flavored tea here and there. I don’t mind spending a bit on premium varieties on occasion, but an expensive tea has to deliver. My favorite places to order are Harney & Sons and Upton Tea Imports. TeaVivre is great for Chinese tea.

My ratings are pretty subjective. If it falls under 70, I may not take the time to post about it unless I had something specific to say. If it is 70-80 I like it, but I will probably not rebuy. Favorites are over 80 and up, but sometimes the less expensive or more easily obtainable version of a similar taste will win out for my cupboard space.

Usual teapot steeping method: 24 oz teapot, 3 perfect scoops of tea (4 1/2 actual tsp), freshly boiled water, 4 minutes. Lightly sweetened.

Usual mug steeping method: 15 oz mug, 1.5 perfect scoops of tea (just over 2 actual tsp), freshly boiled water, 4 minutes. Lightly sweetened.

Usual pan method: 1 1/2 cups water, 2 perfect tsp chai (3 actual tsp). Simmer for 3 minutes. Add 2/3 cup skim milk. Simmer for 2 more minutes. Strain and sweeten.

Usual pitcher method:
5 or 6 Perfect Spoons of tea (this means about 7-9 actual tsp), freshly boiled water, brewed essentially double-strong in my 24 oz teapot for 4 minutes. Fill my Fiestaware Disc pitcher (about 60 oz.) halfway with ice. Add brewed double-strong tea to the pitcher. Stir it a little and enjoy. No additions.

(*SRP is my Sample/Stash Reduction Plan starting on April 12, 2012. I got so far, but just decided it was too fussy to keep track.)

Ohio