Second tea of the morning……

We will just call this “the parade of Keemuns”. I am trying to get an idea of which basic Keemun is the best flavor profile for me. I have three in a similar price range for around 4 ounces. One of them is organic. I might even add in my bargain basement Keemun from the Asian grocery if I am not floating away after the third cup. Unfortunately, I don’t have the one I liked the best on hand….I am out, and getting a refill was not in the cards for me, even though I tried.

This one is much lighter than the Keemun – Grade 2 from Teavivre. Ideally, I want something between the two. I am not adverse to mixing, but I would love to find an outright replacement for the one I really liked. This one just lacks complexity, even though it is a great basic Keemun. It is very smooth. No real notes of smoke (which I miss). No astringency (which I like that there is none!). Slight notes of chocolate, like is normal for this type of tea. Very mild.

Usual mug method.

teaNsympathy

I was on a similar Keemun pursuit recently. Have you tried the Malachai McCormick blend by Harney? It’s a Keemun and Assam blend that is an absolutely perfect, well-balanced cup of tea, ideal for that morning cup.

SimplyJenW

I will have to get a sample of that sometime!

ashmanra

Jen, I think I have about a teaspoon of it left. I will check tomorrow, and if so, send it.

teaNsympathy

If not, I just got a tin this weekend, and I’d be happy to send some along!

SimplyJenW

ashmanra- Sounds good to me!
teaNsympathy- Will let you know! I so appreciate the offer!

Comments

teaNsympathy

SimplyJenW

I will have to get a sample of that sometime!

ashmanra

teaNsympathy

If not, I just got a tin this weekend, and I’d be happy to send some along!

SimplyJenW

ashmanra- Sounds good to me!
teaNsympathy- Will let you know! I so appreciate the offer!

Tea enthusiast, trying to keep up my cardio for the zombie apocalypse. I have come to accept that I am a western brewing black tea drinker as that is where my ‘tea heart’ lies. I started on loose leaf as a way to have my dessert and not suffer the caloric issues. Once I tried it, I was hooked.

I drink what I like, which is mostly China blacks, a few traditionally scented blacks and Earl Greys, plus a flavored tea here and there. I don’t mind spending a bit on premium varieties on occasion, but an expensive tea has to deliver. My favorite places to order are Harney & Sons and Upton Tea Imports. TeaVivre is great for Chinese tea.

My ratings are pretty subjective. If it falls under 70, I may not take the time to post about it unless I had something specific to say. If it is 70-80 I like it, but I will probably not rebuy. Favorites are over 80 and up, but sometimes the less expensive or more easily obtainable version of a similar taste will win out for my cupboard space.

Usual teapot steeping method: 24 oz teapot, 3 perfect scoops of tea (4 1/2 actual tsp), freshly boiled water, 4 minutes. Lightly sweetened.

Usual mug steeping method: 15 oz mug, 1.5 perfect scoops of tea (just over 2 actual tsp), freshly boiled water, 4 minutes. Lightly sweetened.

Usual pan method: 1 1/2 cups water, 2 perfect tsp chai (3 actual tsp). Simmer for 3 minutes. Add 2/3 cup skim milk. Simmer for 2 more minutes. Strain and sweeten.

Usual pitcher method:
5 or 6 Perfect Spoons of tea (this means about 7-9 actual tsp), freshly boiled water, brewed essentially double-strong in my 24 oz teapot for 4 minutes. Fill my Fiestaware Disc pitcher (about 60 oz.) halfway with ice. Add brewed double-strong tea to the pitcher. Stir it a little and enjoy. No additions.

(*SRP is my Sample/Stash Reduction Plan starting on April 12, 2012. I got so far, but just decided it was too fussy to keep track.)

Ohio