Woo! That Earl packs a punch! Very strong bergamot and what seems like a mild note of lemons hiding under the bergamot. Not an unpleasant potency, it would be perfect as a wake up aroma. I often amuse myself by comparing a good Earl Grey to Victorian smelling salts, it would make a better fainting remedy I think! The aroma is very tart with little whispers of malt from the base tea.

Sweetness, that was something I was not expecting! After the initial surprise of the sweet aroma I get lots of citrus: lemons, oranges, bergamot, it is a veritable citrus melange. There is also a very pleasant underlying maltiness to the aroma that I am thoroughly enjoying.

I did not like this tea, and I feel really awful for saying it. I thought perhaps it was a fault on my end so I brewed a new cup with a lower temperature and I still did not enjoy it. The taste was unpleasantly bitter, the bitterness you get when eating a citrus fruit and you make the mistake of accidentally eating the rind. After the initial (almost medicinal tasting) bitterness fades you are left with the taste of sweetness and bergamot. As the tea cools the bitterness fades some but it is replaced with tartness, it is better but still not my…umm…cup of tea

Hi Amanda,

I enjoyed reading your review. I’m a bit confused about the 12 point rating, though. The first two paragraphs sound actually very positive to me. Ok, you seem to not like the bitterness (which I in fact enjoy very much) and subjectively don’t like the tea (which is great, critical reviews are often more informative than overly positive ones) but 12 points seem a bit harsh to me.

Anyway, thanks for the review, also on the other two teas from Justea. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on that one. Good to see that you also liked the black tea, it’s amazing!

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

The black tea was amazing! I gave it the rating I did because the bitterness made it unpalatable, in order to drink it to give it a full review I had to cringe while doing so. The aroma and such was wonderful and even the aftertaste was good, but the initial bitterness was so intense that it felt like I was drinking a medicine instead of a tea. I love a little bitterness in tea, it wakes it up and really brightens it, especially the astringent bitterness you usually get in blacks, I do not however like a tea that is so bitter that I cannot drink it. I really wanted to like the tea because the aroma was so fantastic, I even tried rebrewing it, but I really feel that no matter how good the tea is, if I find it undrinkable then what can I do?

If anything I should have been more clear with how critical I was being, but saying ‘this tea was so bitter it made me spasm because the intensity of the bitterness’ seemed too harsh.

Thomas Fluevog

Ah, now I understand. Thanks for clearing that up! And thanks for the detailed additional information!
And yes, the tea has a bitterness but I actually thought for this kind of tea it’s not that bitter at all. None of those astringent tannins. But I probably brewed mine not very strong, since I knew that I don’t like Earl Greys in general.
Maybe trying it with milk would be a good idea. Unfortunately I was out of milk yesterday ;-)

Comments

Thomas Fluevog

Hi Amanda,

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

Thomas Fluevog

My Rating Guide, This is a personal rating and not necessarily a reflection of the tea’s quality
100-Must have on hand, it is one of my favorite teas
85-99-Really good teas, like exquisitely good
65-84-Not bad, they can be good but generic, or just teas that I found enjoyably ok.
40-64-Not a favorite, but not terrible. I would drink it if it was in front of me but I doubt I would seek it out on my own.
20-40-Not the best tea ever, either it was not to my liking or it was really bland. Chances are I would turn this one down unless I was really thirsty.
0-19-No, just no. Either there was something wrong with this tea or it was utterly undrinkable by me.

I am a nerdy, obsessive, crafty, tea blogging, gaming nut. Yeah, that about sums me up! Ok, you want something more informative….

I am a Geek, hardcore fan-girl Geek. It shapes my life. I spend a lot of time making things out of perler beads and I bet you can guess what inspires them. Other than the obsessive pixelizing of things I spend a large portion of my time doing origami (especially Lucky Stars and modular geometric designs) it is an equal obsession. I hoard dice, get obsessed with games, and will talk about whatever fandom, game, etc that I am obsessed over until I am blue in the face. I am not just a gamer girl type Geek, I also fit in the collecting knowledge and spending way too much time reading, category of Geek.

But there is more to me than just being a giant nerd. I love tea, always have and have just gotten more and more obsessed as I get older. I love trying new teas and then writing lengthy descriptions about them on my blog, I love reading and researching the history and culture of tea, I love collecting tea pots and fancy tea tools.

When the weather allows it, I love to go mushroom hunting. I don’t eat them, instead I use them for photography and spore prints. It is my dream to one day become a Mycologist studying slime molds.

I have Fibromyalgia, it sucks, but I feel people who are going to interact with me should know since I tend to vanish because of it. So fair warning!!

I also have cats, love the ocean and all aquatic life, love cheese, and collect hats.

My favorite tea is definitely Oolong, but I also love Japanese greens and…ok I just love tea actually :P I am not a huge fan of lemony teas or tart fruit teas. I also loathe hibiscus (usually)

This is my actual tea wishlist, you know that I actually update and keep track of…I tend to forget Steepster’s https://www.facebook.com/notes/amanda-wilson/tea-wishlishtshopping-list-perpetually-in-progress/10152336515414411 I use my steepster WL to keep track of teas I have had and really want more of :P

Kansas City, MO