Happy All Hallow’s Eve everyone, it is my favorite holiday of the year because it is centered around some of my favorite things: pumpkins, ghosts, monsters, candy, more pumpkins, and select gourds. Obsession with pumpkins aside, this holiday has a lot of spook in it, lots of haunting and booing, in fact I am wearing a white sheet with eye holes cut out as I type this. Ok, no I am not, I would be if there was a white sheet in this house but a golden ghost or one with stupid patterns would be embarrassing. Ghosts are meant to be white, or maybe pale, ectoplasm blue. Just like the ghosts of blueberries!

Yes, blueberries have ghosts, how else would we have Blueberry Boo! by Della Terra Teas? (which they have run out of tears, I wanted more but there are other spooky teas) OH, apparently there are ghosts AND blueberries, well that changes everything. I like having ghosts in my tea! Along with adorable little sugar ghosts there is also Black Tea, Dried Blueberries, Blueberry Flavor, and Mini Chocolate bits. Yes this tea immediately made me think of my beloved Boo Berries cereal, the love of blueberries, chocolate, ghosts, and tea was too much for. I had to have some of this tea! The aroma is sweet and fruity! Very obviously a blueberry tea, luckily the blueberries smell fresh and sweet and not at all tart like some much hated by me blueberry teas. In the pouch the aroma of chocolate is very faint but once I poured some out for photography purposes the chocolate was much stronger and blended wonderfully with the blueberries. There is no ghost aroma, but that is not necessarily a bad thing because ghosts tend to smell musty.

Time to turn the ghosties into liquid ectoplasm (no, not Ectocooler) with a bit of hot water. The aroma is much more chocolaty and malty, I would describe the ‘tea’ aroma as bright, not outshining the flavors but not disappearing under them either. The blueberry is not as strong and comes in as an afterthought. The liquid sans leaves is sweet and creamy with note of malt and a hint of chocolate. I do not detect any blueberries (or wandering haunts) but as I wait for it to cool enough to drink I notice the chocolate becomes less of a haunting and more of a full body apparition.

The taste is mild and bright, it really lights up the mouth with its Black Tea quality while still maintains its mild, smooth aspects. It is sweet and malty with an initial chocolate taste. Sneaking in like a phantom is the blueberry, it is faint at first and then as the tea cools (hey, just like when ghosts show up!) the blueberry becomes much stronger and sweeter. This tea is pleasantly sweet on its own, but if you want a real kick adding a bit of sugar and cream makes for a treat that is phantasmagorical, also the color is more ghostly so that is a plus. I have certainly learned that if this tea comes back next All Hallow’s Eve I am going to need to stock up because I went through my supply of it really quickly.

For spooky photos and blog: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2013/10/della-terra-teas-blueberry-boo-tea.html

Nicole

Excellent review. :)

Comments

Nicole

Excellent review. :)

I am a nerdy, obsessive, crafty, tea blogging, gaming nut. Yeah, that about sums me up! Ok, you want something more informative….

I am a Geek, hardcore fan-girl Geek. It shapes my life. I spend a lot of time making things out of perler beads and I bet you can guess what inspires them. Other than the obsessive pixelizing of things I spend a large portion of my time doing origami (especially Lucky Stars and modular geometric designs) it is an equal obsession. I hoard dice, get obsessed with games, and will talk about whatever fandom, game, etc that I am obsessed over until I am blue in the face. I am not just a gamer girl type Geek, I also fit in the collecting knowledge and spending way too much time reading, category of Geek.

But there is more to me than just being a giant nerd. I love tea, always have and have just gotten more and more obsessed as I get older. I love trying new teas and then writing lengthy descriptions about them on my blog, I love reading and researching the history and culture of tea, I love collecting tea pots and fancy tea tools.

When the weather allows it, I love to go mushroom hunting. I don’t eat them, instead I use them for photography and spore prints. It is my dream to one day become a Mycologist studying slime molds.

I have Fibromyalgia, it sucks, but I feel people who are going to interact with me should know since I tend to vanish because of it. So fair warning!!

I also have cats, love the ocean and all aquatic life, love cheese, and collect hats.

My favorite tea is definitely Oolong, but I also love Japanese greens and…ok I just love tea actually :P I am not a huge fan of lemony teas or tart fruit teas. I also loathe hibiscus (usually)

This is my actual tea wishlist, you know that I actually update and keep track of…I tend to forget Steepster’s https://www.facebook.com/notes/amanda-wilson/tea-wishlishtshopping-list-perpetually-in-progress/10152336515414411 I use my steepster WL to keep track of teas I have had and really want more of :P

Kansas City, MO