Well everyone I have good news and bad news, the bad news is my stomach ulcer is just awful so not only do I need a bland diet (yay) I also need to take tea out of my diet for at least a week. I am pretty sure I can survive without tea for a week but it will not be fun. The good news is that I have tons of teas in my notebook still so I can blog daily during my trials and tribulations.

Today’s tea is Bourbon Vanilla by Kusmi Tea, a Chinese Black Tea flavored with Bourbon Vanilla from Madagascar. Fun fact, the name Bourbon Vanilla comes from Reunion a French controlled island that was previously called Ile Bourbon after the House of Bourbon. The aroma of this tea is fairly mild for a vanilla tea, it is sweet and creamy similar to vanilla bean ice cream. There are also notes of almonds, oak wood, and a very faint hint of strawberry that I honestly am not sure where it comes from. The aroma is pleasant and dessert like.

Once brewed the vanilla aroma practically disappears from the wet leaves but the base tea’s aroma is very bright and a touch malty. I also notice a fruity tone that has changed from strawberries to cherries in the wet leaves, it blends well with the malty and bright aroma. The liquid has captured the aroma of the vanilla from the leaves and is sweet and creamy.

The taste is subtly sweet and brisk. The vanilla is creamy along with notes of nuttiness and a midtaste of oak wood. I added a touch of cream and it really accented the already creamy undertones of the tea. There was no need for sugar since it is already sweet. I feel this tea is good for waking up or for dessert, but I doubt I will seek out more. It is a pleasant tea but not really outstanding.

For blog and photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2013/12/kusmi-tea-bourbon-vanilla-tea-tea-review.html

Indigobloom

Get better soon!

Josie Jade

This is random, but my dog has a really bad ulcer. I was giving her ranitidine (Zantac) before every meal and she still didn’t want to eat. Our local vitamin shop suggested aloe vera, and after clearing it with the vet we switched her to that. No more Zantac and I am amazed at the results. I think her ulcer is almost gone at this point and her appetite has returned. Not sure if you’re into natural remedies, but the aloe vera is supposed to work great for ulcers (in humans and dogs, ha!)

Amanda Wilson

I did not know you could give Zantac to a dog! I can’t use traditional Western medicine, call it bad luck or my body just being stubborn but Holistic and Traditional Chinese is the only thing I can use. Aloe certainly helps but I find my biggest ulcer remedy is DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorice) tablets. They have calmed down my ulcer whenever it flares up. :)

Amanda Wilson

Oh and thank you for the well wishes!!

Josie Jade

I’ll have to look up DGL. Surprisingly, most people medicines can be given to pets – Benadryl, pepto, etc.

Comments

Indigobloom

Get better soon!

Amanda Wilson

Oh and thank you for the well wishes!!

Josie Jade

I am a nerdy, obsessive, crafty, tea guzzling, gaming nut. Yeah, that about sums me up! Ok, you want something more informative….

I am a Geek, hardcore fan-girl Geek. It shapes my life. I spend a lot of time making things out of perler beads and I bet you can guess what inspires them. I hoard dice, get obsessed with games, and will talk about whatever fandom, game, etc that I am obsessed over until I am blue in the face. I am not just a gamer girl type Geek, I also fit in the collecting knowledge and spending way too much time reading, category of Geek.

But there is more to me than just being a giant nerd. I love tea, always have and have just gotten more and more obsessed as I get older. I love trying new teas and then writing lengthy descriptions about them, I love reading and researching the history and culture of tea, I love collecting tea pots and fancy tea tools.

When the weather allows it, I love to go mushroom hunting. I don’t eat them, instead I use them for photography and spore prints. It is my dream to one day become a Mycologist studying slime molds.

I have Lupus and RA, it sucks, but I feel people who are going to interact with me should know since I tend to vanish because of it. So fair warning!!

I also have cats, love the ocean and all aquatic life, love cheese, and collect hats.

My favorite tea is definitely Oolong, but I also love Japanese greens and…ok I just love tea actually :P I am not a huge fan of lemony teas or tart fruit teas. I also loathe lemongrass (usually)

Kansas City, MO